Video from the Expo

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Serenity

Re: Video from the Expo

Post by Serenity »

Crash wrote: Wed Mar 01, 2023 10:18 pm That's interesting info about the software available for use on this.
When you have imperfections in the individual frames, it matters a lot less when 24 go by every second.

Discotek had some interesting ideas with their blu-ray release, but putting on the whole series in Japanese, with subtitles, including the preview show, was a very nice move.

I have the X Bomber laserdiscs waiting for a player to run them.
Do you have a capture card attached to a PC to import the laserdisc footage?
That sounds like a very interesting job.
I'd love to take credit for the Laserdiscs, but the front end bit was a "friend of a friend" thing - I had the Laserdiscs but no player. Have had them for years and always intended on picking up a player at some point but never got around to it. One of my mates was getting some of his digitized via another friend of his, think he was using a replication service. Anyhow, asked him if he could get mine done at the same time. Had mine transferred to DVD but digital copies was another option and possibly even blu ray (not sure). I'd have been as well having digital copies myself as I ended up ripping them anyway so that I could run them through Topaz.

I had contemplated picking up the JP LDs myself at some point, on the basis that they might have yielded better PQ, the transfers being struck from the master a good while earlier than the DVDs, possibly when the master was in better shape, but it's a lot of £££ on an assumption that most likely isn't correct anyway. Plus, the LDs themselves may have degraded in the meantime anyway thus negating any additional PQ even if there were some originally.

I think unless someone finds the original JP film elements (do they even all exist at this point? I know there were some 16mm prints knocking around but I can't remember what the provenance of those was?!) then the best we're ever likely to be able to do is Up-rez the FR DVDs the best we can. Do we know how the FR DVDs were remastered btw? Presumably they went back to the original film copies they were provided back in the day? If so they must have been in considerably better nick than the ones that FF had access to for the UK DVDs.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.