Guess Whos Coming To Dinner SFXB...

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
FZeroOne

Guess Whos Coming To Dinner SFXB...

Post by FZeroOne »

Sorry, something went wrong there... lets try again...For those of you who haven't heard of this, its a BBC TV show where celebs pick the six guests they would most like to invite to dinner. I haven't actually seen the show, but I understand that it can be any person, living or otherwise. After having talked with my parents about who we would choose, I thought it might be interersting to see who we'd all like to invite, and a little bit about why! Here are mine:Hayao Miyazaki - this is pure hero worship on my part. Director of my favourite film, Kikis Delivery Service, and creator of some of the finest anime around. I've been fortunate enough to visit the Studio Ghibli museum, and his eye for detail is apparent everywhere there.Jackie Chan - I must admit to not having seen many of his films, but those I have, I've always throughly enjoyed. Would love to hear just how many takes it took him to bounce gum off a door into his mouth in Armour of God, or what it really felt like to dress up as Chun-Li in City Hunter!Alan Turing - argubably, did more to save this country during its darkest time than any other single individual, yet was later hounded to an early grave by an unthinking establishment. And it wasn't just his wartime exertions, either; he invented the idea of the modern programmable computer before anyone else had even given the concept a name.DEATH - that is, the anthromorpic personification, not the process. One of the greatest literary characters of all time. Will have to put curry on the menu.Charles Darwin - taught us not only what we were, but where we came from and where we might be going. Possibly the nicest man ever to completely shatter a whole species understanding of its place in the universe. The irony is, if it wasn't for that evolution thing, he might have been a good candidate for sainthood. Arthur C. Clarke: I've always enjoyed his writing, and although many have pointed out his occasional failings as an author, we need more communicators of his stature. Has a wonderful knack of writing about the impossible fifty years before it becomes possible. A bright light in the ignorant dark of the universe.
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.