The Future of SFXB

Details of updates to SFXB
AndyThomas

The Future of SFXB

Post by AndyThomas »

This is not an easy post to write in some ways, but it has probably not escaped your notice that I have been very quiet of late.  The simple reality of the situation is that I was essentially dead at the end of February having suffered a cardiac arrest without warning.  My wife was able to keep me going until the paramedics restarted my heart.I have been extremely lucky to survive this, and I am seeing a lot of the inside of hospitals.  Somewhat ironically you might now class me as a cyborg as I have a defribilator implanted in my chest.  It's like a pacemaker on steroids.  I am also taking some potentially nasty drugs at the moment.I am however more stable than I have been for a while, and so I am taking the opportunity to essentially mothball the site, particularly as my new laptop is not going to lend itself to re-publishing the site on a large scale.  I will, hopefully, continue to be around and I will respond and so on as far as I am able.  I know others remain more active than me right now, but I'm quite happy that the DVD is out along with the soundtrack and that we have achieved that in part by keeping the memory of the show alive between us all for so long.So, I will be focusing on my little one going forward and I suspect others are on theirs too, but I will maintain the site going forward as far as I can and I wish everyone the best with their own endeavours.  And I do encourage you to enjoy yourselves as much as you can, as none of us know what is around the corner.  If you're at all interested in understanding what's gone on with me I'll add more detail here and I'm on Twitter if you want to keep in touch that way.All the bestTTFN

Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Shane

The Future of SFXB

Post by Shane »

Oh Andy, I'm so sorry to hear about all the problems you've had to endure throughout this year. It's really quite shocking and truly puts things into perspective. I hope you're feeling a lot better and wish you and your family well.I have to say, without any fear of hyperbole that Star Fleet was one of my first searches when surfing the net for the first time many, many moons ago and most certainly, your website was one of the first sites I ever explored in great detail.Your site helped me to get hold of the complete series and not have to put up with my knackered, but much loved and overplayed compilation VHS tapes. It also spurred me on to make my own website, to help out with the great work and strong foundations that you had already laid.It also turned me into a crazy collector of Star Fleet toys for a number of years, which my wallet has never truly gotten over. ;)There's the old cliche that you eventually let go of childish things, but with Star Fleet and your website, Andy, you never really had to. I sold the toys off long ago (well, all but one), but the spirit of our fave sci-fi puppet show featuring the big red robot with the Welsh sounding name lives on.Again, Andy, I really wish you all the very best for the future and can only echo your words regarding living life in the now.Best to you.x

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
felice

The Future of SFXB

Post by felice »

Eeeep! Good luck with your recovery...
Crash

The Future of SFXB

Post by Crash »

I thought I'd replied to this but apparently I left it without pressing send!I didn't realise you'd been quite so ... terminal Andy.Keep the site going as long as you can. It's been my textbook in writing my game.I'll always be really grateful to you Andy for everything you've done.You need to seriously concentrate on looking after yourself.At the moment, I'm trying to automatically generate a big batch of screenshots of the Japanese X-Bomber DVDs. Although it plays beautifully, most auto-screengrabbers won't play well with it.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Dr. Ben

The Future of SFXB

Post by Dr. Ben »

Very sad to hear about your misfortune. You and yours are in my thoughts and prayers. Also sad to know that this era in the show's history has come to an end. I wonder what's ahead for this unforgettable program? One thing's for sure this site has kept the flame alive for a long time and for that I owe you a debt of gratitude!
Happosai

The Future of SFXB

Post by Happosai »

I've not been on here for quite some time...pretty shocked to hear about your ill health, Andy...hope you've recovered now.It seems like an eternity since I first found the original version of this forum, back when the thought of owning SF on DVD seemed like an impossible dream...! Cheers for everyone's work to keep the memory of the show alive![Happosai]
Matsukami

The Future of SFXB

Post by Matsukami »

Bon rétablissement Andy. Brand courage à toi.Meilleurs voeux de rétablissement!

Zordon

The Future of SFXB

Post by Zordon »

Been thinking if you want the site to get updated on a regular basis if myself and crash look after the place. We won't change any layouts or content. just add any updates. alternatively to stop us wrecking a great peice of work that this site is we'd be more than happy to open up a mirror site.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Crash

The Future of SFXB

Post by Crash »

The site's healthy as it is.The forum's working well, no spammers, although I never liked the blue, glossy bars that much.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bradster

The Future of SFXB

Post by Bradster »

I'll sheepishly admit I read this a while ago and avoided posting because I didn't know quite what to say. Two other guys I know are battling cancer (one just had major surgery involving removing several ribs) and, although I'm in fair health, I've been contemplating my own mortality lately as well.I'm really sorry to hear you've been going through such rough times yourself, Andy. Most of the regulars have already chimed in, but I'm sure anyone else who has come across your presence here would wish you nothing short of the speediest recovery and well being.I'm sure that you and your family have many great years to come, and I'm glad you're choosing to focus on them. Don't worry about the site; such things as these aren't important in the grand scheme. Besides, you have several volunteers (myself included) to mirror and carry on this particular legacy that you've boldly shouldered for so many years. You brought this community together across the void of decades-old faded memories, and for that alone everyone must be grateful.Wishing you all the best!