Barry Hercules bust sculpted in 3D

Chat about creative work on other sites
Bradster

Barry Hercules bust sculpted in 3D

Post by Bradster »

*tap tap tap* Is this thing on?

Hi folks! :) It's been a while since I made an appearance here. I actually had to go digging through old emails to find my reset credentials from when the forums migrated a couple years ago — I thought maybe I missed a memo or something when I couldn't log in. I guess I did! Yikes!

Anyhow, the creative bits. I continue my on-again off-again relationship flirting with 3D modeling software every few years, and during the great 2020 covid lockdown, I decided to take a couple weeks to try my hand at freehand organic sculpting. I like to think I could get a basic passing grade for "hard surface" 3D modeling — things with flat surfaces and sharp edges — but modeling smooth, flowing, curvy, organic shapes is something I've never been comfortable attempting. It's a totally different skill set and challenges an area of my brain I'm not used to exercising. It also doesn't help that I only have a plain old keyboard and mouse. The professionals use graphics tablets with pressure-sensitive pens to add or remove or nudge just the right amounts as they go. I think later this year I might induldge and buy myself a tablet if I want to continue practicing this skill.

So, I followed a brief online course for sculpting an anatomically-correct full-body human, and once I started to get the hang of it, of course my mind drifted back to Star Fleet. Over the span of a weekend and several more long evenings, I think I produced a satisfactory bust of Barry Hercules!

He's missing his painted-on eyebrows here because I haven't really textured him yet; his skin is just one solid material at this point. Maybe I should just retexture him in marble and put him on a pedestal with a plaque? :lol:

Originally I had thought I would sculpt the whole crew once I got into the flow with Barry here; alas that particular dream was a bit too ambitious for 2020. I'd still like to work on our lead boys and girl as time permits, or at least I'd like to come back and finish Hercules' camo jumpsuit body at some point. If I do, I'll definitely come back here are share my progress instead of quietly sitting on it for months.

I was too excited to share what I'd made so far, though, and didn't want him just going forgotten and collecting dust in my computer.

Cheers!
Crash

Re: Barry Hercules bust sculpted in 3D

Post by Crash »

That's terrific.
The puppet heads were just made of one solid material.
You could make the skin more realistic. Maybe that would work too.

With Captain Scarlet, people found the show eerie because the puppets were realistically proportioned for the first time.
There is a danger of adding too much realism to these.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Jiraiya

Post by Jiraiya »

Hey Brad if you ever get one printed send it my way as I can cast them in rubber
Crash

Post by Crash »

Hey Dave, how's it going? Good to see you!

I must be having a major go-slow...
I saw this and thought: "Wow, have I seen this work before?", and then saw that I'd actually replied in January.
Unbelievable :D
Zordon

Post by Zordon »

Howdy all.

I'm currently dabbling in VRCHAT making worlds for players.

Currently I'm working on a Nightclub build for avatars for FNAF characters.

I'm using blender andnunity to build worlds and also have the means to make avatars to wear as long as the models are rigged and in pmx or mmd format.

If anyone dabbles in vrchat or is curious you can search up my gamer id Necatron to see what I'm currently working on.

Ok now onto the Star Fleet stuff.

I could convert the models Brad makes and make a huge Star Fleet world.

Dai-x could be a huge Avatar you can wear.

Imagine Makara's Cruiser being able to walk around it.
Moonbase, X-Bomber.

The ideas are endless. And to top it off these avatars can be rigged to talk leading onto my next idea.

The Oculus Quest 2 can record in game footage. You could film your own episodes of a new Star Fleet.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Hi Dave,

Good to hear from you!

This is not my area of expertise at all.
One thing I notice is that Star Fleet has some extremely committed and very, very talented fans, but the trouble is that there aren't so many of them that those talents overlap very often.

I do think that a full-size Dai-X costume would be great fun.

I often find myself wondering about what the moonbase complex was like in general, given that we get a decent look at only small parts of it at the start of the series and the overall facility is absolutely enormous, to the point where it appears to me to be a lunar city and perhaps one of several.

The matte painting of it, made for the show really stirs the imagination:
https://www.xbomber.co.uk/?dir=Star%20F ... 20Painting

It would suit me fine if that guy would get that thing out of its frame and get a proper scan/photograph of it done.