Looking for 3D printed model

Chat about collectables, videos
Lightouch

Looking for 3D printed model

Post by Lightouch »

Hi Guys

Ive seen the odd model around, i was wondering if anyone had a Kit for printing 3d models of the Xbomber?

If so, i'm very VERY interested.

Keen to see what people have found or what people are making..

Thanks

LT
Crash

Re: Looking for 3D printed model

Post by Crash »

That's a very good question.
If you had access to a 3D printer, you could ask one of the fellows on DeviantArt like ChrisofEDF or Dorian Sherratt if you could have one of their 3D model files.

This page might interest you:
http://xbomber.co.uk/?dir=Star%20Fleet/ ... 20Sherratt

If you happen to produce one, let me know what the reasonable costs are and I'll order one through you.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Matsukami

Post by Matsukami »

+1
Crash

Post by Crash »

There, you see, I'm not the only one.

I went to a Maker Fair at our Centre for Life in Newcastle in April (first time I've ever visited the place) and saw a variety of really excellent 3D printers.
You could get a really fantastic small one for about £1,000 - so less than the cost of a computer.

The reason I'm not experimenting with it is that, I don't for one moment imagine that it's as easy as plugging it into USB, installing a driver, opening a file and hitting Ctrl+P.
I suspect that it would be very time-consuming to set up properly, get a 3D model opened in the right software and experiment with getting a really good result from the printer.
Then there's the cost of the materials and seeing which 'printable' material would give the best outcome.

I would love to hear from anyone that had some experience of that sort of thing but, at the moment, I'm pretty much taken up with my game.

Also of interest to me at this Maker Fair, were some independent games being written for Android etc.
I was glad to see that they had rather a long way to go before they caught up with X-Bomber.

One very interesting thing I saw was a Microsoft, open-source technology that you could integrate into your own software with only 5 lines of code and it 'interpreted' the emotions of a person in a photograph.
The way this was demonstrated was that you pressed a button while looking into a camera lens.
A few seconds later, a printer would then generate a big, round, yellow sticker with the person's image along with three figures for "happiness", "surprise" and "neutral" underneath. Its opinion of me was:
happiness 1.000000
surprise 0.000000
neutral 0.000000

Apparently, this setup had evaluated hundreds, if not thousands, of pictures in the past and I was the first '100% happy' person it had ever seen.

I put the label on my laptop lid but it's faded and worn a lot with all the hammering that my Clevo gets.
Dream big and bold and daring.