P-P-P-Pick up a Puppet

Chat about creative work on other sites
Zordon

P-P-P-Pick up a Puppet

Post by Zordon »

I've been looking baout the web for a company that supplies a conversion kit that turns a regular BBI Dragon soldier body (one of those WWII figures that look like action man) I found a great little video once of this animatronic kit that goes inside the figure and alows head movement and an arm that has full movement. they we're quite cheep to. unfortunatly i lots the link and havn't found it since.Now this got me thinking. the Puppets from the show had very little electronics inside apart from the side ways moving eyes, mouth and head. i'm sure the arms where moved with a wire hidden behind the arms.so i've found a company that make animatronic puppets and i'm going to ask them to make me one.but which one should I get?Shiro? Makara? Lamia?I'd probably say lamia myself as she's not got as much detail as the other figures and you don't see her legs.shiro on the other hand is a good example of a figure i'd love to have, imagine having him posed with a gun and talking that would be cool.If this would work out cost effective it might be possible to get a bunch of these made up so everyone in the group could own a member of the showand we could film a small film too lol.the return of star fleet lol
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Crash

P-P-P-Pick up a Puppet

Post by Crash »

Haha decisions decisions...I think Makara would be the best - I think it would certainly be the most distinctive and visually striking.

Dream big and bold and daring.
Zordon

P-P-P-Pick up a Puppet

Post by Zordon »

well after 3 hours ofsearching youtube and cross refrencing forums i managed to track down churchillcreationsa company that make Dragon BBi animatronic figures.This morning I got an email from Elaine who is working on a 1/3 scale figure. She remembers the show and say's she would love to work on the project.this said there is a possiblilty that we could get some full working puppet replicas.heres her e-mail to me------------------------------------------------------------------------Hi Dave,God, Star Fleet... that brings back memories!I'd be happy to help in any way I could. I'm in the process of finishing off a 1/3rd figure with a 1/4 figure not far behind, these will be for radio controlled aircraft use. A good friend who makes wooden puppets will be making the clothing for these larger scales.It's all down to how you would want to operate it really, I obviously use servos for the movement in my figures but you could easily run either rods or closed loop wire down the legs and through the base. I've also got some Muscle Wire that I intend to play with, that if successful could open up some really freaky possibilities for function and size.I've attached the instructions that I supply with my 1/6th mouldings to give you an idea of how they work. I've made a few complete figures for people, though I mainly sell the kits. If you would prefer manual operation of the figure it would be made slightly different to accommodate the mechanisms.Have a look at the attached files and let me know what features you have in mind. I'm only in Birmingham myself so we're not that far apart. I'd be interested to see some of your sculpting, especially heads. Perhaps we could come to a mutual agreement that would be beneficial to both of us as I intend to expand my figures to several different scales with various options available.thanks,Sym.------------------------------------------------------------------------so that sounds ok to me. I can sculpt the new heads myself, got much better over the last 8 years lol . I'm thinking of doing a shiro figure first. as this would be easyer for me detail wise. I've got a friend that can cast the helmet in a small scale and cast the heads in rubber.I figured out last night how to make the eyes move without rigging up a load of complicated electronics. mini RC cars.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Crash

P-P-P-Pick up a Puppet

Post by Crash »

Wow, enterprising stuff - I'd be very interested in how this turns out.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Zordon

P-P-P-Pick up a Puppet

Post by Zordon »

I've had a lengthy chat with a chap from Churchill creations about the puppet systems. and he's given me loads of great advice on makeing the puppets. even a system set up for eye movements and mouth using solenoids on a digital channel system.he says it's possible to make the puppet using newer techniques and cut down on all the cables.and a full puppet rigged up with the electronics and maybe even an audio speach system would only set me back about £180theat pretty cheep when you think about it. he'll even make the heads based on my sculpts.
Look an Alien cruiser!!