Thalian Space Wars or Space Quest for F-01?

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

If you could have one of the old compilations included on the DVD set, which one would you prefer? Both is probably not an option!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Post by Crash »

I'm not too bothered about it - all they were were summaries of the series. I've seen one of them when I was very young but I don't remember which one it was.What's the difference between the two?
Dream big and bold and daring.
djdust

Post by djdust »

Definitely use the space for something else as they're both appalling hack-jobs! If we REALLY did have to choose, I'd go for "Thalian Space Wars" as "Space Quest.." is already on the Japanese DVD set so is out there already...I think there should be a fan commentary with the owners of all the SF websites doing it... ;)
F-Zero-One - the Star Fleet / X Bomber site.....http://www.starfleetxbomber.com
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

I'm opening up what's four years old already... I apologize if there's rules against that (I've been on forums where it's against rules to post after a certain amount of time).Anyhow, I've only seen "Thalian Space Wars" on YouTube. I really question why companies go and make compilation films when they can just release the series.What sets "Star Fleet's" compilation films apart from the Anderson ones is that the Anderson ones like "Thunderbirds to the Rescue" or "Captain Scarlet vs. the Mysterons" were atleast a bit more professionally edited as unnecessary as they may've been. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URdGHdorHtMSo many flaws with the SF ones, such as the fact that between eps 8 and 11 cuts, they ignore the fact that Lee is in bed when he was working the communications just two minutes earlier. Or how Hercules shoots at the Imperial Carrier saying "You Traitor!" when any reference to the fact that it was Carter in there is removed. Yet they expect the viewers to think the voice coming from the carrier to be just some sort of phantom voice.

Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Unusual question?Are they planning on doing a DVD re-release?I wouldn't be too interested in either of these compilations TBH. We all know how the show should've been presented anyway.I'd much rather see the missing Episode 18 included instead. Either just with English subtitles, or re-dubbed into English. Failing that, definitely some of the Japanese Music and intro, or even that Japanese preview show that featured the sets, models and Go Nagai himself.Well, I can dream can't I?
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Shane

Post by Shane »

I thought they were a godsend in 1995 when I first got reaquainted with the series. But now with the full uncut series on DVD they are fairly redundant. Space Quest for F01 was actually a bonus disc for both the Laserdisc and DVD releases of X-Bomber. I wonder what the Japanese made of it.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

I would love to know what the Japanese (and indeed Louis Elman, going from the 2009 DVD interviews) had planned for the next series, which I presume we would have had be it not for the fire in the studio.I would also be very intrigued to know what kind of robot (as mentioned by Go Nagai) he had planned for the Alliance to use against the Dai-X and what it would have turned out like.
Shane

Post by Shane »

(Crash Override @ Apr. 27 2011,22:20)QUOTEI would also be very intrigued to know what kind of robot (as mentioned by Go Nagai) he had planned for the Alliance to use against the Dai-X and what it would have turned out like.Damn, Crash! Don't it to me.Like, goddamn! Star Fleet season 2!The UK would have paid the Japanese to produce it (I believe, despite it being a failure in Japan). It was so popular in the UK at the time on the back of Gerry Anderson repeats on Saturday Mornings.But, hey guys we're doing Go's work. ;)
Crash

Post by Crash »

That was what I inferred about the future costs from the interview too.I think Nagai would have liked to have made his second series but I don't think he would have received backing from the Japanese, who funded the first show, no.I honestly think that Elman realised sufficiently that he was on the gravy drain with Star Fleet and would definitely have stumped up for a second show himself, because with a longer run comes greater exposure and being able to build on what models and sets had been made before, the whole thing could have spiralled into something really phenomenal.I designed, ages ago, a robot that I felt was a real contender for what could been in the show but I don't know where the drawings went.So, rather than having that robot at the end of my game's level 5 I put in the combining version; much like Dai-X; which I think worked out fine too (cos it was a good design) but the original was like a very athletic, HR Geiger-esque termoid-like thing and very dark-coloured. Infact, it was a lot like the Geiger Alien and Crysis Nanosuit texture-wise (where it shows the different sinews in the muscles) in many respects but I think I was in my GAP year when I drew those pictures; a long time before that game was ever released, anyway.Basically, years lapsed between porting X-Bomber into MMF2 and HWA and by the time I got to do the robot, the plans were nowhere.Actually, I found a most interesting thing that was slowing down X-Bomber's runtime.The MMF2 engine seems to really hate having loads of objects with more than one direction in their animations. Infact it almost halves the object count ceiling before the framerate begins to slump. You can perform loads of scaling rotations and allsorts of actions on them and still not build-up the same load on the CPU. On that basis, I need to think about the little yellow damage particle flakey things because they get caught-up in that. I couldn't understand before why they seemed to be causing slowdown when they basically weren't doing anything wrong.I've been doing a lot of experimenting today - not a vast amount has 'moved' today but I'm in a better position to move forward tomorrow thanks to my calculations.At least people won't be able to say; "Oh there's an epitomy of modern programming; another game that hasn't been optimised".We are doing Go's work, I don't think we're sucking at it too much either.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Fine work has been done by yourself, Crash!Who knows?We know!