My new Terrahawk Prop

Ever popular - so much so, it deserves its own forum!
Mark42

My new Terrahawk Prop

Post by Mark42 »

Thought you Terrahawk fans might like to see this that I picked up yesterday - one of Zelda's Cube friends, might have even been Cystars pet.Puppet size version.Hissssssss............
Crash

My new Terrahawk Prop

Post by Crash »

Wow, where did it come from? Looks like a few red bits are gone but that's trivial to fix.It's a lot bigger than I would have expected and it has the familiar evil face so perhaps it is that specific one.Did they make two sizes; one electronic and one smaller?
Dream big and bold and daring.
Mark42

My new Terrahawk Prop

Post by Mark42 »

The Cube is approx 20cm square and cast in fairly clear fibreglass resin, so you can still see the fibreglass matting inside as part of the design. There was only the one size on the puppet set but the special effects department had various very small sizes at around 1 inch or so.There were several of these big ones built and the design was the same on each, it is in two halves so that it can come apart for lights to be put in, and there is a tube up the centre to fire the explosives out of.It came from the collector Phil Rae, who built and still owns the original 'Spacehawk' model used in the show. I'm trying to get hold of one of Zelda's spaceships at the moment... fingers crossed that I succeed.

Crash

My new Terrahawk Prop

Post by Crash »

Well, fingers crossed indeed. It would be very good to have a closer look at some of those.I always thought Spacehawk was a huge mess of a spacecraft though. It looked like a huge amalgam of the Sun Probe and every other rocket/missile from Thunderbirds, Stingray etc.
Vanessa

My new Terrahawk Prop

Post by Vanessa »

Gosh lucky you!I always wanted one of Zelda's cubes.It is quite big, but then, so were the puppets compared to, say, those used in Star Fleet.I always wondered what the different faces were all about, on each side of the cube... I hope you can get hold of one of the 7 ships from Zelda's fleet. Then you could hopefully post some close-up shots of it here on the forum?On one of the narrative special features on the Terrahawks DVD's that I have, one of the special effects guys talks about these Zelda Ships. He said that one (or maybe two?) appeared in the background on the film "Alien" (or maybe it was "Aliens", damn I can't recall, my memory is more like a 'forget-ory' at the moment).Spacehawk wasn't one of my favourites either. Actually I found the ships of the Terrahawk fleet a little dull, Ninestein's "Terrahawk" ship was my favourite tho'.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

My new Terrahawk Prop

Post by Crash »

I always figured the eyes shoulda lit up and fired the lasers. Woulda saved it flipping over.You could build one yourself so easily, I would think.I suspected that it would be Aliens because there are more shots of space stations and facilities than in the original. Alien only has the alien ship and the Nostromo on show.http://forum.alienslegacy.com/viewtop....w=printThat's part of why the sequel is better.Those ships in Terrahawks were so scrappy and covered in 'bits' and 'grime' but they still looked awesome - a perfect match for the style in Aliens.
Vanessa

My new Terrahawk Prop

Post by Vanessa »

Well done you, that link you have pasted is full of all the detail that I didn't know about. So Aliens it was...I always liked "Aliens" over "Alien".It seems that movie/TV props can have quite a life!Zelda's ships seem to have got everywhere!I thought that Zelda's ships were way cooler than the Terrahawks ships.Zelda's cubes were a poor man's version of the Zeroids I thought. I wish they had been a bit more animated.It would be possible to make one, but would it have the caché of an original prop?
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

My new Terrahawk Prop

Post by Crash »

Well, they were certainly cooler than Spacehawk. All those tubes and fins were too busy and hideous.I can see what they were going for but ... nah.Battlehawk was just too improbable to fly but then they were planning on destroying it anyway.Treehawk was OK but Hawkwing was the absolute meister.Doesn't matter if it's an original one - you could have a scaled-down one. Not sure I'd even want it full-sized. Put a light inside and make the white and red sections glow.I have a little paper guidebot from Descent 2 (it's a brilliant game where you fly a ship in underground mines with tunnels that shoot off in all directions and fight the infected mine robots). The guidebot is awesomely cute.It's like the companion cube from Portal but x1,000.Alien was just a fairly inspired horror film with some really good production but Aliens had a lot more going on.I love Ripley's meeting with the bean-counters towards the start."... and this BS, that you think is so important? Well, you can just kiss all of that goodbye!"The third one was limp because the director was an idiot and HR Geiger wasn't even acknowledged in the credits due to all the acrimony behind the scenes and the fourth started out well and just became utterly disgusting and unbelievably disturbed towards the end.

Vanessa

My new Terrahawk Prop

Post by Vanessa »

I guess coolness is quite subjective I didn't know that Battlehawk was supposed to be destroyed? It always looked too bulky and cumbersome to me. Treehawk was a bit naff I thought.Hawkwing was pretty cool though.It was the way that the various ships launched that really stuck in my mind.If I ever get round to making a Zelda Cube, I'll post a picture of it here... I have to completely agree with your summing up of all four of the Alien films there. I share your sentiments.I wish we could've seen more of the Space Marines from Aliens. They remind me of the Marines from "Roughnecks - Starship Trooper Chronicles".
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

My new Terrahawk Prop

Post by Crash »

I gather that the Starship Troopers books are really awesome and yet the films they spawned were pretty awful with only the first one breaking "average".The author was a Vietnam vet, I seem to remember.Battlehawk was meant to be blown up and replaced with a more streamlined version. If you search for it we had a bit of a talk about it a while ago.I think they might have constructed the model in a hurry and it didn't match up well to the curvy design drawing. So I think they planned on having another go later on.There was also a really cool prototype ship that was like a flying revolver with various detaching flying pods. There was a model built but it was rejected even though it looked awesome.