Amalgamate

News from other Star Fleet fan sites
Crash

Amalgamate

Post by Crash »

Thank you very much, Shane - that would be wonderful!Erm, yeah the music situation...I'm still using MIDI. MMF2 has great native MOD file playback apparently as well as .OGG. You know, like module tracker files form the Demoscene and so on. But you can use mp3 or anything with DirectShow.I contacted the guy from this thread: http://www.sfxb.co.uk/cgi-bin....nterestand asked whether he might be willing to help me out with a main-menu theme. Nada, sadly.It would be nice to have an original theme. In order to upgrade the existing audio, I think I can grab some stuff from the demoscene and Hornet archive (if it still exists). Those demoscene tracks are small and they have a good, unique sound that would fit the game quite well.If anyone has any other ideas for a suitably upbeat and courageous soundtrack (it all has to inspirational because I hate sad music) then I'm open to all suggestions.

Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Amalgamate

Post by Shane »

It's such a shame you can't use the Paul Bliss soundtrack, but I guess rights issues puts the mockers on that. I make a lot of ambient and electro music under the guise: Infintium and have a sound cloud page with a few tracks:http://soundcloud.com/shaneywonda/setsNot sure if many of them will suit your needs as like you say, you're looking for upbeat/heroic. However, the track Lectoslink is in the Star Fleet mold - very electro funk. Feel free to use it or any of the others if you want:http://soundcloud.com/shaneyw....toslink
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Vanessa

Amalgamate

Post by Vanessa »

A friend of mine sent me a sound clip of X-Bomber's engines as it takes off. I've uploaded it to the X-Archive. It's in .wav format, but it's not that great. If you can use it Crash, you are most welcome.Sorry if it's no good, I'm just trying to help
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Amalgamate

Post by Crash »

I'll take it for the training Mission! Thank you.I wonder, if we want to do a collaborative site, whether we should use MediaWiki. That's what Wikipedia uses, so it can't be too bad. It checks all the boxes. It's PHP-driven with a MySQL backend. Only thing is that it's meant to be run on a server farm, which we don't have. I don't think that's an absolute requirement though.We could always use Wikia but something tells me they may have severe filesize restrictions and we wouldn't have 'proper' control of it.Shane, presumably you have an idea where you want TROM to go, even if it's not in prose yet. Maybe you could fire me rough outline for a game tie-in when you have a moment. Let me know how many levels you'd like for a prospective add-on pack etc. That'd make some interesting bed-time reading.
Shane

Amalgamate

Post by Shane »

I think a wikia would be the way to go. I checked out the Gundam wikia and can absolutely visualise a Star Fleet version. It has everything we are looking for.It's easy to start one, I can start one today. I guess the only draw back is that it's freely editable by absolutely everyone, but I think Star Fleet is such a cult and not very well known show that there would be little abuse or misinformation.I'll sort out a digestible plot line for TROM, for you in the near-future. I have a window at the moment where I can fiddle about with creative stuff, but not for a long period.I actually like the idea of the wikia, because then people can add to it gradually, as and when they feel like it.

Shane

Amalgamate

Post by Shane »

I've made a new folder on X-Archive entitled: Star Fleet Sound Effects.I placed 5 samples in there to get the ball rolling primarily for Crash's game, but It might be a good resource in it's own right for fan-made projects.I've brightened up each sample and given them a bit more of a stereo feel. Quite hard to capture these sound effects, mind, as there's ruddy music playing on top of them all the time.  

Crash

Amalgamate

Post by Crash »

Thanks Shane, that's really good. The Skull weapons sounds are useful because the Skull, as a player ship, is near the top of my list. A friend suggested long ago that it rotate so that it can fire a broadside up the screen, like you already see it doing at the end of Mission 07.It's going to have two modes and it morphs from one to the other, this game being a sequel. It already does that as an non-player 'character' in Mission 07 as well.The original ship seems like a frigate to me. It has some effective anti-ship weapons at the front but it mostly seems to be anti-aircraft guns. The second is basically the galleon from San Ku Kai (where the Skull idea was probably stolen from). I think it should have an X-Impulse like weapon in the sails and all-round heavier firepower.I also added a blue deflector shield.All the sprites have been done for ages.As for Wikia, I like the idea of only having registered, approved members messing with our stuff.

Zordon

Amalgamate

Post by Zordon »

I'm all for a wiki type of site but like crash said it's freely editible to anyone,I've been out of the web design side of things for to long. what's the latest style of web coding css?I think one big hub of information from several people contributed. like shane said if you want to throw info into the portal and arange stuff then that's ok.registered members only is a must. admins and mods. regular members would be able to upload stuff but not edit locked content.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Crash

Amalgamate

Post by Crash »

Agreed with all of the above. 1. Registration necessary for uploads, 2. Approved registration (ie. Admin status) required for changes,3. "larger/unlimited-quota, but still not admin" goup for people we're not quite sure about. - Just like we have on the Coppermine. At least that's something that works right on there. I think we need something as well that has a wide range of themes. We want it to work well but it should also look really awesome without the effort of hacking the thing to death.So it needs a wide range of themes.And it needs to be free, open-sourced and very well-supported by an army of friendly nerds.
Shane

Amalgamate

Post by Shane »

Glad the sounds will be useful. I could probably get another dozen or so sounds from those 5 alone by tweaking pitches and effect settings.If you give me a list of ships weapon sounds that you need I can wing some more your way. I could make a variant of the X-Impulse sound by adding in a bit of the Skull Blaster sound for your second heavily armoured space galleon.As for the wikia, well I'll gladly be a contributor/mod, but I don't want to have to build a system from scratch, so I'll leave that side of it to people who are better qualified.