Big Dai X - Anyone heard from Shane?

News from other Star Fleet fan sites
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I had considered that as an option, but in theory data protection law would prevent them from giving out personal details. The Nominet record for superbadassrobo might have had his address but as that domain record is blank now I don't think that's an option. At the end of the day, if he wants to make contact with any of us he obviously can and if not... well, either he doesn't want to or is unable to and either way we may never know which is the case.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Post by Crash »

I came across an interesting bit of info last night. Apparently although the name for bigdaix.com has expired the actual substance and files are still up there and there's a way of getting to them.So it seems Shane hasn't switched the site off. but the question is what to do with these files on the strength that the lease for storing it might expire too.Any thoughts?
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Quote (Crash Override @ 06 Dec. 2004,16:40)Apparently although the name for bigdaix.com has expired the actual substance and files are still up there and there's a way of getting to them.How so? Nothing I have tried outside of WebArchive has worked...
Crash

Post by Crash »

It was something Matt Darcy told me about sending the information relating to the website address (which is what's missing of course) along with the file request packets. He said it wasn't possible with just a web browser.Anyway that's definately what I gathered.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Well, he's probably referring to the IP address of the server. That's the numerical path that the domain name resolves to. The IP address is how the computers actually communicate over the Internet. When you punch in a web address in your browser, it "secretly" calls up a domain name server and asks for the matching IP address.For example, www.apple.com resolves to 17.112.152.32. If you try to go to that number in your web browser, see where it takes you. Of course, this doesn't always work. www.sfxb.co.uk actually resolves to 66.7.164.210, but that's not the right web site! Actually, that IP is the address for the company that is hosting the SFXB site. The server at that IP address looks at the web address you requested (www.sfxb.co.uk) and then directs your browser to the right path on it's own system.Unfortunately, this doesn't help us because we can't get the IP address of Shane's old site. All of the domain name servers have long since been updated to redirect any requests to the current search page. Sure, Shane's stuff is probably still on a server out there somewhere, but finding and gaining access to that server is bordering on impossible.At least, it's well beyond my current knowledge and abilities.
Crash

Post by Crash »

I know, I thought he meant using IP numbers instead myself, so I suggested it to be sure what was what - and Matt was definate that it wasn't the way of going about it. I'll ask him about it on MSN when I see him.
Crash

Post by Crash »

OK Brad, according to Matt if you use a program like "WGet" and "post a "get" to the webservers ip address with the headers "bigdiax.com" and it should come down". And I found out that the IP address is "213.133.98.149" and the DNS port is "53".Matt says to give him an email if you run into any trouble.I think I'll have go at it myself if I can.
felice

Post by felice »

If the web host still has the files, they'll probably be accessible at an address along the lines of http://shanesisp.com/users/shane/Though this doesn't help if we can't find out which isp he used, or his account name isn't something easily guessed.
Crash

Post by Crash »

easy just put the IP in your browser address bar. resolves to this:http://die.blaue1.de/It's getting a bit late so I'll leave emailing them 'till tomorrow - means I can practice my German.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Crash, how have you arrived at that IP address? What Felice is saying that, as with sfxb.co.uk, there'd be a directory which bigdaix might be stored under but what you've got there is just a top level domain name. Presumably you think that bigdaix is stored somewhere on that server? Surely you'd have to have some idea of the right IP address first? Bear in mind that bigdaix's current IP address is very unlikely to be related to Shane's site because it won't be pointing at the same server anymore.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator