Instant fan (thank Otakon)

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

Quote (Scythemantis @ 23 Aug. 2005,23:52)I don't post on forums much, so I'll probably just lurk here for cool information, but anyways, I never knew of Star Fleet/X-bomber until Otakon this weekend (I'm not really huge into anime, I'm a "general" nerd) where I met some friends from online. We were walking around with nothing to do (the con itself was....kinda boring) when we passed by a video room showing....PUPPETS! "Yay!" we thought. "We like puppets!"It wound up being the ONLY thing we watched there because we felt nothing could ever possibly top it. We were among only about a dozen people watching it in the whole huge video room, too. Every few minutes, regular anime fans would pop in only to leave with a "what the heck was THAT crap?"...they didn't even give it a chance. Probably because it wasn't "anime". I also hope to track down some of the toys. Were there ever any character figures of Makara and Orion? Friend of mine says he has a termoid figure, but that it's bright green and has antenna...wha?Welcome to the forum! Those "regular anime fans" should have paid more attention - there probably never has been, and probably never will be again, a more anime-like show than X-Bomber. Go Nagais - thats the Cutey Honey, Devilman, Mazinger Z Go Nagai - design studio worked on it. You couldn't get more anime than that if you para-dropped a legion of cat-girls into a Gundam convention! Also, Star Fleet was a part of UK "Saturday Morning" TV; I suspect you would find many of the posters here were about at the "right" age when it was broadcast; we're also the place Thunderbirds, Stingray and Captain Scarlet originated from, so possibly we're slightly more "attuned" to puppet-based work.As to toys - there was a toy-line. It didn't last long, but it produced some great toys. The robots, including the Big Dai-X, were actually produced by Takatoku (the same toy company that produced the classic Macross Valkyrie toys - again, a more anime anime credential its hard to imagine!). I'm not sure about figures; I think there some vinyl figures produced, your friends toy sounds like it could be one of those - vinyl toys are often designed as cheap "train station" toys, and are not uncommonly an all-over colour. (that said, modern vinyl collectors will pay huge amounts of money for things that even Godzillas mother wouldn't love... go figure!)
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

Ah, yes, the classic ending theme... I don't recall reading about, or seeing before, Star Fleet action figures - is it an action figure we're talking about, like a G.I. Joe, or just a painted, non-posable figure?
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.