Revisiting Andy's Genesis Demo Storyboard

Chat about the Genesis project and storyline
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

I didn't get to spend a lot of time over the weekend working on the models and animations, but I did try out lots of ideas for implementing the lasers in 3D.Yeah… I'm stubborn. Honestly, I want all the visuals to just work in 3d so I can see my progress at all times and make sweeping changes without having to significantly redo any manual post-processing work.I think it's looking pretty good so far. I'll probably thin them down a bit, but otherwise I'm satisfied with the overall style.So, here's the YouTube video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjZ_mcEEQuI&fmt=18The video is really short. Pause it as soon as you hit play so your browser can finish downloading the video and it won't stutter. The first three passes are played in real-time. I never quite realized it, but the Imperial Fighter's laser blast only lasts about 1/3 to 1/2 of a second. Anyhow, because they are so short, I made the video then replay them in slow-motion at 1/2 speed.Here are a few stills:And for comparison:
Crash

Post by Crash »

That is the stuff I am talking about!I don't suppose you have a wave file of the sound effect that I could use myself?I tried recording my own from the show but it never worked out that well.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Y'know, they work just fine Brad, and like you say, you're keeping it all within your 3D domain which will save a lot of time.The trick now is to get all the shots you need, edit them together into a mini-movie complete with sound effects and music, for us to watch.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Still working on it!Getting the explosions to look semi-realistic is very time consuming. I've only got the first shot of the Star Fleet Transport's destruction working yet.Under attack...the beam strikes a nerve...and the ship blows apart in a massive fireball...
Crash

Post by Crash »

This is starting to look better than Babylon 5.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Zordon

Post by Zordon »

anything is bette than Babylon5 heck Power Rangers is better than Babylon5 and thats saying something lol.keep up the great work brad. if you need any help
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Shane

Post by Shane »

Don't disrespect the 5! They did wonders with an Amiga.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Zordon

Post by Zordon »

I'm just woundering if brad would still be working on this. if he can make a green screened version of the footage I can add all the backgounds in with After Effects, star fields, planets. lasers ect.I've got alot of stock effect footage like sparks explosions, lighting effects ect. so let me know if you need a hand making up a trailer
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Dr. Ben

Post by Dr. Ben »

Wow! Hadn't seen those before. They look good!
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Yikes... nearly another year gone and I haven't touched this since.I think I might dust off the old files and play around with this setup for a bit this weekend. I think I'll skip trying to work on the effects (which rapidly consumed probably 90% of my time once I started down that route) and just try to get the main flight paths of the ships lined up with camera rigs.I'd be happy to share pictures or videos of what I've made so far, but that's basically just what I've already posted. If desired, later I can configure the software to render a separate alpha mask pass or replace the background in the main video with a solid color for chroma keying.