Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Chat about the Genesis project and storyline
Bradster

Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Post by Bradster »

Rather than bump the year-and-a-half old thread I was using before, I decided to start a clean, new thread. I hope you don't mind, Andy.For new visitors who hadn't seen the previous thread, here's a link:http://www.sfxb.co.uk/cgi-bin/ikonboard ... ;t=179Most if not all of the image and video links in that thread are dead and broken (part of my reason for starting this new thread).Anyhow, I've started back to work on my Star Fleet models, including the Dai X. Tonight, I have added some finishing to the top of Mainbody -- adding the gun, some tech detail, the cockpit's extended nose, and textures for the rotating shoulder guards.I also took a moment to arrange a scene of Mainbody firing upon a Imperial Fighter. You can find it here. I'm not sure if I got the scale of the two ships right; I plan to measure them more accurately in the future.My next step for the Dai X is to work on textures for Legtrax. I think I finished its mesh, but I'll have to check on that...
AndyThomas

Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Post by AndyThomas »

Nice as ever - he makes it sound so #### casual, "just added some tech details" indeed! Heh. As for scale, I think the Imperial Fighter would look a bit bigger but it would be smaller than Mainbody - Braincom's probably about the same size. If you make the cockpits about the same size that might do it? Not a great reference shot but:
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
felice

Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Post by felice »

Mmm, nice... the scale doesn't look too bad to me - the Dai X is supposed to be big, and the show was never consistent about scale. Perhaps see how the Imperial Fighter looks compared to the X Bomber scaled to fit the Dai X? Considering the location of the Mainbody gun, Shiro is in trouble if there's a short ciruit while the Dai X is combined 8)
Bradster

Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Post by Bradster »

Quote (felice @ 01 Mar. 2004,17:09)Perhaps see how the Imperial Fighter looks compared to the X Bomber scaled to fit the Dai X?Excellent idea!This is actually something I was worried would be a problem in the future. As they are now, my models are all on different scales. This has given me the opportunity to sync them all together with the correct sizes. Having them all to the right scale should help tremendously in any future animations and group pictures.Surprisingly, the scale of the ships seems quite realistic and fitting of the show! The size of Dai X actually seems right in that it would fit perfectly through the "mouth" of Makara's ship at the end of the series. The size of the Drone Craft is the same as when Orion crashed into the side of X Bomber.Here's a rendered image of the X Bomber, Dai X, a Drone Craft, and an Imperial Fighter. Also, to help better judge the scale, there is a white humanoid standing just above Dai X's shoulder.Please excuse the missing textures for X Bomber and Dai X. And here is an image that includes the Imperial Battle Cruiser (as much as I have completed on it, at least) also to correct scale.I'm truly amazed that the sizes worked out as well as they did! Of course, for my Escape Velocity conversion, I'll be using scales that aren't entirely true to life, but without customizing them, ships like the IBC would be ridiculously enormous and ships like the XB's Space Chopper would be too tiny to see.
AndyThomas

Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Post by AndyThomas »

That looks pretty spot on, given that the Imperial carriers also have to make it out out of the battlcruiser's mouth. That gives you a good idea of how many could fit in it as well, assuming most of the internal volume is just hangar space. Plus it's tall enough to have let Dai-X stand up in just that sort of hangar space having flown through the mouth, then start pounding through to the solid bridge above the entrance tunnel. Yup, it works.Not quite sure about the X Bomber to Carrier ratio - in this shot Orion's carrier looks a little bigger than you have it? But it may just be it's nearer to the camera of course. It doesn't help when there have been multiple sizes of models used, of course...These images are from the episode guide, incidentally...

Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Bradster

Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Post by Bradster »

Okay, I've adjusted the scale slightly, making all of the Alliance's ships a tiny bit bigger. In addition, I have taken the time to fit the rest of my ship models to the new correct scale. Some are obvious, but for extra clarity, here's the list:A: X BomberB: Imperial Drone CraftC: Dai XD: Space Chopper (ep. 14)E: human figureF: Imperial FighterG: Ocean FighterH: Mars FighterI: Pluto AstrofighterJ: Star Fleet CruiserK: EDF Freighter/TransportAnd here's the image: Ship Scale Comparison. I left out the IBC of this image for obvious reasons.Next week is spring break for us university kids in the USA. I'll have my computer with me but not my monitor. So, I'll be working on the meshes from time to time, but I'll wait until I have my fancy calibrated monitor back before working on textures. I have a very critical eye when it comes to color and I would just kick myself if I mangled everything next week because of a bad gamma setting.
Bradster

Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Post by Bradster »

Another long overdue update... this one back on the right subject for this thread: the Dai-X itself!Legtrax is finally getting a paint job:
Bradster

Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Post by Bradster »

A few more critical textures on Legtrax are now complete.Now I may finally render out a series of sprites so Mainbody and Braincom will finally have their third companion ship...
Crash

Brad's Dai X, Part Deux

Post by Crash »

That looks great i hate it when these things look too clean. I think people sometimes forget about corrosion and grime and bullet holes and things. But that's identical to the original. Oh and well done on the angle of X-Bomber - I've never seen it from that way-on before.
Dream big and bold and daring.