Escape Velocity: Star Fleet Genesis

Chat about the Genesis project and storyline
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I like the additional "bumps" you've added, and the EDF decal on the fins on the Mars version. Nice touch. They look very business-like and they're reminding me of something, maybe a Viper out of Battlestar Galactica, or possibly the Wing Commander ships for some reason...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

If you're interested, here's the decal in TIFF format with an alpha channel mask:EDF_wing_decal.tif
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

It's very... rainbowy?! I really don't get quite the whole texture thang yet!
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Rainbowy? Could be a Little Endian/Big Endian issue.I've flipped the byte order. See if this looks any more normal: EDF_wing_decal-1.tifI'll bump a tutorial thread with some instructions specific to this decal a bit later so you can try it on any models you may have or make later.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Ah, definitely less rainbowy that!
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Slowly but surely I'm getting back into working on this little thing. Here are a couple new ship descriptions:Ocean FighterThe Ocean Fighter is the common workhorse of Earth Defense Forces' core Ocean Fleet. The Ocean Fighter supports a rugged design that is simple enough for mass production yet durable enough to last several years of active duty. The Ocean Fighter brandishes a set of two medium laser torpedo blasters and is always ready to take on Imperial Fighters in battle. The standard model may also be used for minor deep-space travel, as it equipped with enough fuel for eight hyper jumps and fuel scoops to pick up additional particulate space gasses for converting into usable energy.Mars FighterElysium Planitia Yards on Mars was founded under EDF's Special Operations Division with mega-upgrades in mind. The Mars Fighter was the first such upgrade project to hit the skies out of Elysium Planitia. With a modified twin spike VR-7 jet replacing the Ocean Fighter's base engine, the Mars Fighter is built for speed speed speed. The Mars Fighter also sports twice the weapons capacity of the Ocean Fleet Fighter, sacrificing cargo space for artillery mass. The drawback? Mars Fighter's fuel tank and shield generator have practically been reduced to nil. Fortunately, though, Elysium Planitia engineers were wise enough to leave in the fuel scoops.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Here's a preview of the next ship I started modeling last night:The mesh needs a lot of work, still.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

It might need work, but you know everyone here got what it was instantly, don't you?! It's the front section that's tricky...
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Well, that wasn't too terribly hard.   To be honest, the reason the first picture was so dark at at such an odd angle was to hide how much of it was incomplete. Saturday afternoon I remodeled the head and "eyes" and "abdomen" of the ship completely from scratch. They look much better now. I also added, well, I'll just hush and post the pics. ;)click each thumbnail for a larger image:Click for Full SizeClick for Full SizeClick for Full Size
Zordon

Post by Zordon »

nice stuff Brad. I'd widen the top section around the eyes of the drone ship to give it a less boxy look. in all a bang on job.
Look an Alien cruiser!!