Brad's Dai X work in progress

Chat about the Genesis project and storyline
Crash

Post by Crash »

That's an absolutely cracking little thing! Man.So it just dumps those head-armour bits and goes n' kicks some ass? huh? A* - hardware not lacking firepower either!!!
Dream big and bold and daring.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Nah, it's just that Brad's made the side head panels not render so that you can see what the inside looks like. In the series they're always there.You know, there's something I've thought about before which has just come back to me. Given the positioning of the cockpits for BrainCom and MainBody, how on Earth do Shiro and Barry end up facing forwards and level after Dai-X junction? I'd have to check some screenshots to see whether the cockpit shots look the same before and after. One possibility would be that they just swing themselves around and put their feet where their heads were - effectively lying on their backs compared to their individual piloting positions. Any thoughts?
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

It's interesting that you should mention that, Andy. I hadn't really given it any thought or even noticed, for that matter. I think you're right, though, that their chairs would actually have to be mounted at a 45° angle and swivel down/around when junctioned. They could have an alternate set of controls "behind" the chair (depending on the perpective) that would be for the alternate vehicle mode.
Shane

Post by Shane »

<<Any plans too do an updated version of dai-X?>>--------------------------------------------------------------------------------<<You mean like Shane's Delta-Z or some other non-canon model?>> I'll just say that although I did design the Delta Z on paper, the 3D model version is just a mish mash of various 3D model kits with a few custom trimings added by myself to try and recreate my original design  drawings. It can't really be compaired to Bradsters incredible piece of work which has been designed totally from scratch. In the Star Fleet universe maybe the Delta Z has the edge. But in the real world Bradsters Dai X wins hands down.Shane.(Edited by Shane at 8:20 pm on Oct. 31, 2002)
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Aww, shucks. Thanks Shane. Anyhow! I've nearly completed the Braincom module. Here are some updated snapshots of it *with* all the working internal components, specifically the sliding arms that extend and angle the outer hull. Also, I've got a basic engine light in the back and arms (although not seen because of the bright light) that extend and grapple onto the Mainbody module upon junction.From an angle:side:top:bottom:front:rear:
Crash

Post by Crash »

Oh sorry, sorry it says at the bottom. Doh!Excellent! I figured it might be a bit tiresome having to collect those shells every time it split up. Bit like that Jedifighter on Attack of the Clones; how it dropped off its stardrive and went about its business. Not a particularly good idea really.How many sci-fis can you think of that have fans with the willing and the know-how to put this kind of thing into action? ... not many? Can't think of many myself.
Dream big and bold and daring.
CondorJoe

Post by CondorJoe »

Not much more too do now on the Braincom then Brad, Looking good so far. Them pesky chairs all ways bugged me too Andy. Only way I can think they would exchange persistions is by a turn table method where the bottom of the fixture swivels around.  I think only Lee has it easy mind you he'd be more susseptable to head on ground attacks. Guess each cabin area has it's own weakness.Quick question which is kind of off topic. If you wanted too make a mecha for a fan project how many units would you have? I realy want to use the standard 3 units such as Dai-X, but i'm realy wanting too go and have 5 ala Power Rangers and maybe bring in a 6th ship just for laughs. Lots of hand waving and shouting at the top of your voice. I alway's wondered why Rangers have too shout when they are inside thier zords. Maybe everythings all voice activated?(Edited by CondorJoe at 10:11 pm on Oct. 31, 2002)
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

As you say Dave, a bit off topic, but... what it boils down to is, have you got enough characters to man your vehicles? Not a lot of point having a combiner just for the sake of it. I'm not that knowledgeable about Zords, but Transformers wise it's tended to be 5 units (Superion, Menasor) and occasionally 6 (Devestator, Predaking). Obviously not quite the same issues with manning the units there! At the end of the day Dai-X's design is probably better than most because there are only 2 connection points - most other combiners have 5...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

I was working on an improved lighting setup (crikey! lights really can be tricky as ####!) and adding more detailed pieces into the mesh last night when I thought the new parts would be quality enough to show off here.I just thought it'd be cool to see the Dai-X minus the bulk of its hull. I suppose I could also use images like these later for technical graphics of the Dai-X or even for shots of the Dai-X with battle damage and pieces of the armored plating blasted off. Maybe...
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Oh, and I still have no idea how I'll make the fists appear and disappear in the junction process. They're slightly bigger than the cuffs (or engine exhaust port) on the arms; so, they can't slide up *inside* the arms without shriking or distorting. I've tried rotating them at nearly every angle, but they are always just a bit too wide in some area.Any suggestions? :confused:I believe Andy mentioned before that they could "beam in" like on the old Transformers. I'm not totally against this suggestion, but I'm wondering if anyone else has any lower-tech solutions for this bugger.(Edited by Bradster at 2:48 pm on Nov. 2, 2002)(Edited by Bradster at 2:49 pm on Nov. 2, 2002)