UK DVD release

Chat about collectables, videos
djdust

UK DVD release

Post by djdust »

Bah, still no sign of my set. I haven't had any post since last week. Also had a quick look in HMV and WHSmiths here in Swindon - not a single copy of the box set anywhere to be seen.....
F-Zero-One - the Star Fleet / X Bomber site.....http://www.starfleetxbomber.com
Serenity

UK DVD release

Post by Serenity »

^^ It's official, HMV are useless.Went to pick up a copy at lunchtime. Apparently they only had a few copies, which were accounted for already for pre-orders.Surely the fact that you literally had none left to put on the shelves is a fairly good indication that you might want to have increased your order a little. Apparently not.Tried everywhere here and no sign. Looks like an online order afterall. I would be quite annoyed but seeing as we've waited a couple of decades, I think a few days might just be tolerable.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Serenity

UK DVD release

Post by Serenity »

(Shane @ Feb. 09 2009,10:57)QUOTEI was talking purely about what was available to the UK prior to 1982 in the way of Japanese style programing which showcased mecha.I remember seeing Voltron toys in the shops in maybe 83 or 84 but can't ever remember seeing the show on UK terrestrial TV.The fact that Star Fleet ever made it across to these shores is testament enough to the series. Voltron, as far as I remember, can't actually remember seeing that over here. As for BotP, let's not even get started on how they completely fcuked that up. They should have just dubbed Gatchaman and left it at that.Macross didn't make it over here until 86/87, and even then it was the bastardized version, Robotech.
Joe Meredith

UK DVD release

Post by Joe Meredith »

(Serenity @ Feb. 09 2009,15:25)QUOTE^^ It's official, HMV are useless.Went to pick up a copy at lunchtime. Apparently they only had a few copies, which were accounted for already for pre-orders.Surely the fact that you literally had none left to put on the shelves is a fairly good indication that you might want to have increased your order a little. Apparently not.Tried everywhere here and no sign. Looks like an online order afterall. I would be quite annoyed but seeing as we've waited a couple of decades, I think a few days might just be tolerable.I did look in the local HMV, and there was 1 copy on the shelf. When Cities of Gold came out they had piles of them on the shelves. £32.99 was the price. That would probably be about the only place to stock it I think
Serenity

UK DVD release

Post by Serenity »

I based my decision not to order online from HMV's release of MCOG. They had piles of them on day of release. I thought Star Fleet would be the same. Obviously not. Oh well. Just ordered online with Royal Mail special delivery. Should be here tomorrow. I bought the Close Encounters of the Third Kind Ultimate Edition and 2001 Special Edition yesterday so I'll just watch those tonight instead.
Shane

UK DVD release

Post by Shane »

QUOTEThe fact that Star Fleet ever made it across to these shores is testament enough to the series. Voltron, as far as I remember, can't actually remember seeing that over here. As for BotP, let's not even get started on how they completely fcuked that up. They should have just dubbed Gatchaman and left it at that. Macross didn't make it over here until 86/87, and even then it was the bastardized version, Robotech.I do believe that Star Fleet is the best incarnation of the show: X Bomber. It has better music (much better music) and great voice acting as far as I'm concerned -Denise Bryer as Makara was Iconic.Yeah BOTP is great as a kid, until you realise what 7-Zark-7 is really in the show for. Woah, watching Gatchaman for the first time was a hell of a revelation. Violent-much!And, Yay! after many many years of wait Star Fleet is finally here on DVD, and I still can't find a copy anywhere, grrrr. I shall just have to order the bugger. I still maintain, I'm much more concerned with getting my hands on the Soundtrack, that really would make my year.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Serenity

UK DVD release

Post by Serenity »

^^ Absolutely. Bomber X just doesn't do it for me. The music is vastly different, and the VA is typically Japanese, which in itself isn't a problem, but when you compare it against the English dub, IMO, it's inferior.Gatchaman, certainly puts Zoltar in a new light! Not to mention Keyop, he wasn't a mentalist afterall! It's a great series in its original form, and as much as I enjoyed BotP as a kid, it's vastly inferior.Star Fleet, order it online, I have. Paid more to have special delivery but I'm not waiting until the end of the week which is when HMV told me they'd be getting more stock in.Really don't understand their position. MCOG sold really well, yet for Star Fleet they have scant numbers available? Sounds like someone miscalculated to me.
Joe Meredith

UK DVD release

Post by Joe Meredith »

I loved BOTP too as a kid, and still have a certain fondness for it, but was really glad to see Gatchaman come out on DVD, in fact it prompted me to make a long-ish trip on a cold snowy day to go and buy an all region DVD player!I think, like you Shane, its the soundtrack that really intrigues me, even in the fallow years after it was last on TV and discovering the internet I never forgot that iconic music.  The main villain theme is superb, but my favourite piece has to be the track used only twice in the series - firstly in episode 5 when the three lads are exploring Pluto (where did Lee buy that Cornetto from?) and then again in episode 14 when Lamia and Shiro go to the Skull in the intergalactic motorbike and side carGreat to watch it again though - I haven't seen it since finding out about the release - wasn't it originally 29th May last year it was supposed to come out?  
AndyThomas

UK DVD release

Post by AndyThomas »

(Gareth @ Feb. 07 2009,16:06)QUOTEI got mine today from HMV...Not had a chance to watch any yet but the box set is superb.Nice postcards and love the comic book.PS Andy did you pass on any images for the Collectable section?Hi Gareth. I gave Fabulous what was basically a dump of some of my images, having noted that whilst they'd been provided for use on the site I couldn't offer them any guarantees that people wouldn't object to them being used on the DVD, although they also had their own material and could have picked stuff off the site anyway, I just made life a bit easier. And yes, the URL is mentioned in a couple of places; been a bit of a spike in traffic today actually.I would really like to make the forum registration process more straightforward but if I wasn't vetting every registration the spam would still be getting in. If anyone has any suggestions on how to beef up security I'd happily entertain them... Any way to transfer this board to another more secure version, for example...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Serenity

UK DVD release

Post by Serenity »

^^ I run a website on the invision boards. I won't bore/spam people with the address as it's not relevant, but needless to say, spamming is an issue. We have the 'validation' confirmation of membership as well, and you can guarantee every day you'll have at least 10 new requests, which more often than not turn out to be spam. Let's face it, if people are as passionate about the show as we are, then they'll likely forgive the arduous signing up process.