Star Fleet comic stole from LIFE Magazine?

Chat about collectables, videos
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

I just came across this scan of a 1965 issue of LIFE Magazine, and... wait... isn't that the same Star Fleet "tanker" and "personnel carrier" we saw in the Look In comic for Star Fleet??Apparently this was a concept drawing for a "Moon passenger shuttle". Seems appropriate that illustrators would borrow from these designs. On a related note, does anyone here know if the illustrator for the Look In comics was in any way associated with the production crew for the show? I ask because whoever it was, he/she must have either had an incredible imagination or had access to photos of the ships to draw the X-Bomber and Dai X so accurately.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Oh wow! Good find!I sprited both of them but they got wiped. XP wasn't exactly a brilliant, secure operating system when it was new.Am inevitably gonna redo them in time but I was especially proud of how the shuttle came out.
Dream big and bold and daring.
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

I'm not sure "stole" is quite the right word, many illustrators usually have reference materials that they... um... take inspiration from! Sometimes it is blatant copying, others its a "homage" (a recent update of Dan Dare in graphic novel form featured Treen starfighters based on a Luftwaffe prototype from World War II; the artist freely admitted to taking the basic design). I'd be interested to know who the illustrator was, too!
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Crash

Post by Crash »

I'd be interested to see that - I'll try and hunt it out myself.
Dream big and bold and daring.
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

Crash, if you mean the updated Dan Dare it is pretty good, though I'm not entirely certain its quite in the "spirit" of the original.
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.