more bootlegs

Chat about collectables, videos
AndyThomas

more bootlegs

Post by AndyThomas »

Thanks for bringing this up - he's using one of the banners for my site here which I'm going to e-mail him about because it suggests that I'm supporting what he's doing. Clearly he's decided he's onto quite a little earner here. The interpretation of "fair use" is interesting. Just because a series is not being commercially exploited, does not mean the copyright in it magically disappears. That takes a very long time.What he doesn't allow for is a sudden re-release of shows like Terrahawks - if they got a release then of course your past pirate copies would affect future, if not current sales, and the rights holder could claim on an "account for profit" basis; effectively what they would have earned had there been a licence in place. I mean come on, would you dare to offer Spiderman in any way shape or form at this point in time?!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
AndyThomas

more bootlegs

Post by AndyThomas »

This is very true, but having emailed him he is quite straight up and genuine about what he's doing and why and he could be charging more, realistically. As with any fan-distributed material copyright issues will never go away, but I suppose the question is whether poor-quality copies really endanger the commercial interests of the companies concerned, assuming they even have any commercial interest left in the shows. Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'm getting a sense of deja vu here so I'll leave it at that!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator