Help shape the Star Fleet DVD

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Dr. Ben

Post by Dr. Ben »

BTW this came in my inbox the other day... I'm drooling. QUOTEAnybody growing up in the early 80’s fondly remembers this marionette epic. The only rival ever to top the supermarionation genus of Gerry Anderson in the TV ratings. Star Fleet first arrived on British television in October 1982. Children had previously been brought up on Gerry Anderson's Thunderbirds and Stingray, but Star Fleet was something else again. The action and storyline were more reminiscent of anime and unlike the Gerry Anderson shows, these puppets were controlled from below by rods, like muppets, and so avoided difficulties with strings. This amazing collectors DVD box set release will appeal to all TV nostalgia fans, Anime fans and all the kids that have watched this and other shows including Captain Scarlet, Joe 90, UFO and more..You can now order this item at HMV online for a pre-order price of 28.99. Here’s the link:http://hmv.com/hmvweb....-788582This DVD includes all 24 Episodes and a new 2008 full production documentary which includes contributions from Gerry Anderson, Brian May and both the UK and Japanese production teams.This collectors edition also includes a reproduction 56 page comic book of the Star Fleet series, a concise series guide booklet, a double sided poster, and 6 collectors postcards.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Dog's knob!!!I didn't realise it would be so lovingly presented - poster, comic book, postcards, a documentary - I take my hat off to them.Consider my set ordered! I've already made a space on my wall for the poster. ;)
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Provided they leave me well alone between now and the release - This may well be my first actual DVD purchase for a good long while.
Dream big and bold and daring.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I should come clean at this point and say I've had chance to review the check discs - the quality is really, really good; perhaps not Japanese original good, but the sound is very crisp and I was watching it on quite a big screen. The documentary featuring Go Nagai is great, it gives a great insight into how under the radar Star Fleet was in Japan at the time. As and when I have time I'll try and do a more comprehensive review, but as you've seen from the images above a lot of planning has gone into this and I've been doing what I can to help with the text side of things. I have a very nice signed photo as a thank you, of which I am told there will be a few up for grabs through various outlets. It was quite a strange feeling watching the episodes as they were originally shown some 20 plus years later!I'm not sure about other region releases, although an Australian firm has just been in touch with me. Plus apparently the soundtrack is going to see a release, although I have no further details on that...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Post by Crash »

Soundtrack!!! Now! That would be a record I'd definitely buy.Honestly though, this DVD looks great - it seems to be the polar opposite to all those box sets of TV series with extras that are just totally unimpressive.
Mr Bilston

Post by Mr Bilston »

yes it looks great but then they took their time over it so i wouldn't expect anything less.i wonder if any of the suggestions for forming this dvd set, that were put forward on these forums, were taken in and used in the extras for this? would be interesting to see if they read the massages here and took our suggestions on board.
Crash

Post by Crash »

I doubt it - I put some suggestions forward but they seemed more interested in increasing their revenue by seeing me in court over my x-bomber game than by improving their product.I'm amazed it looks to have turned out so well.
Shane

Post by Shane »

I agree with Crash - Let's be having you with that soundtrack!For me, anyway - who has watched the series a fair few times now - the uncut and unedited soundtrack music would be actually much more of a coup than the DVD release in terms of outright coolness, although the DVD is still a definite purchase.
Crash

Post by Crash »

There's one track from the end of the series that I just have to have - the one where Orion chases the X-Bomber before he does a kamikaze.I think it's cooler but not as mandatory. It's like comparing a lamboughini to a subaru. You like the lambo but you need the subaru to get you to work without breaking down and to get your set of drawers back from ikea.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Oh no, the soundtrack would obviously be for the more hardcore fan, although out of the people buying the forthcoming box set, I'd be interested to know how many would shell out for a soundtrack release.I know Network have released a few soundtrack CDs to accompany the DVDs of shows like the Prisoner, (again fantastic music that deserves to be listened to in it's own right) but I think these do go at a premium rate though, I guess because it's a very niche market and costs have to be recouped and profit has to be made on what could be quite a limited run.I guess a good working model would be the Terrahawks soundtrack CDs although that was a fan club exclusive, wasn't it?