Star Fleet sounds snatched from Space: 1999?

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

I honestly haven't watched a whole lot of "Space: 1999", but tonight, I was checking out the "Mystery Science Theatre 3000" riff on the compilation film "Space Princess" and I happened to notice how many sounds we hear in "Star Fleet" are in "Space: 1999" (excluding the Japanese masters)This may take some noticing, but the main explosions used in "Star Fleet" are an ongoing loop of the assorted explosions (though edited to fit the filmed explosions) and those explosions seem to be the same one often used in "Space: 1999" (the pistol type explosion and the sharp crackly one mainly being the ones I refer to). EDF's headquarters base loop with all those beeping ambience noises are the same ones often used at Moonbase in "Space: 1999"I will try and update my "Star Fleet" sound effect collection ASAP, and look through my "Space: 1999" DVD set (I only watched the first episode thus far).
Crash

Post by Crash »

Haha, amazing - I haven't watched much of Japanese X-Bomber because it doesn't have subtitles and my Japanese is very bad.So... I wasn't aware that the sound effects were so different to the UK version. (I'm sure those loops wouldn't be found in the Japanese one).Infact I remember being surprised at how many weapons effects were the same across the two versions.If I were to call it, the Japanese versions were better because they obviously fitted more closely with the Japanese designers' original intentions for the weapons.For instance the X-Bomber's side turrets were more machingun-like.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

Alright, i've now got some hard evidence to back it up."An Attack Beyond Tears" - The explosion sounds for the Volcano were taken straight off the "Space: 1999" episode: "The Metamorph" from Season 2. That jet whooshing sound you can hear while Volcano is exploding - that's the Eagle's engine as it retreats"A New Beginning for the Galaxy" - The metallic clashing sounds heard when the Skull crewmember next to Lamia gets blown up is from the episode "Space Warp" when a mutated Maya tries to launch an Eagle and it ends up flipping it over. There are the same explosions in the same place, and not to mention the last explosion was cut in "Star Fleet" because in "Space: 1999", music started there.This is really shocking and I must be the first person to have taken note of this. It's really ironic considering the Anderson inspiration behind "Star Fleet"
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

I have now found two defining masters that really prove I am right.Relatively ever SF episode - The explosion montage comes from the "Space: 1999" episode "The Last Enemy". In addition to that, the communication beeping system also comes from that episode.http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WIDVLENOht ... d=FVA5WSZI
Mark42

Post by Mark42 »

The effects sounds are not 'taken' from 'Space: 1999', it is simply that the sound effects were done by the same sound people. The people who provided the sounds for '1999' were hired from outside to do the job and although they would have created new sounds just for '1999' they would have had their own large collection of recorded sounds that were built up over the years, and even sound effects that they may have bought commercially. Sounds specifically made for '1999' would simply be added to their collection for use in later productions, or even possibly sold on to other sound companies. Many of the sounds heard in 'Space; 1999' also appear in 'Star Maidens'. And the same sounds of explosions and engine noises appear in many Tv shows and films. As an example the sound of the German half-track at the start of the 'Battle of Britain' film is the exact same sound as that use for the Shado Mobiles in Gerry Andersons 'UFO'. When you are making a film you need so much sound adding that you simply can't create all new stuff, you simply pull the sounds from an existing library.As a result you will often hear the same sounds for many years, in fact I was walking through the Leicester Space Centre last month and found them using an Alien laser sound from series 2 of 'Space: 1999' with one of their current displays.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(Mark42 @ Nov. 03 2011,22:37)QUOTEThe effects sounds are not 'taken' from 'Space: 1999', it is simply that the sound effects were done by the same sound people. The people who provided the sounds for '1999' were hired from outside to do the job and although they would have created new sounds just for '1999' they would have had their own large collection of recorded sounds that were built up over the years, and even sound effects that they may have bought commercially. Sounds specifically made for '1999' would simply be added to their collection for use in later productions, or even possibly sold on to other sound companies. Many of the sounds heard in 'Space; 1999' also appear in 'Star Maidens'. And the same sounds of explosions and engine noises appear in many Tv shows and films. As an example the sound of the German half-track at the start of the 'Battle of Britain' film is the exact same sound as that use for the Shado Mobiles in Gerry Andersons 'UFO'. When you are making a film you need so much sound adding that you simply can't create all new stuff, you simply pull the sounds from an existing library.As a result you will often hear the same sounds for many years, in fact I was walking through the Leicester Space Centre last month and found them using an Alien laser sound from series 2 of 'Space: 1999' with one of their current displays.Pay attention to what I'm saying bud.It's most noticable in the explosions sounds. Take for instance, the explosions used when X-Bomber first takes on the Alliance towards the end of episode one. Listen, you will hear rock crumbling noises in several places because the explosions are taken from towards the end of "Space: 1999" episode "The Last Enemy" when Koenig tricks the enemy and sets off an explosion in their ship's blindspot.Pay attention to the explosions basically in every episode, they're almost always in the same order but edited to sync with the recorded explosions.http://www.megaupload.com/?d=WVUK49PMHere's the audio from the original source of the explosions in "Space: 1999" and after that the audio from the second episode of "Star Fleet"As for "Star Maidens", they may have been taken from "Space: 1999" too. The explosions in the first episode are similar to a sequence in "War Games". Gerry's "Space Police" pilot uses the same series of explosions as mentioned above from "The Last Enemy" when V-Lann's hideout is destroyed.

Mark42

Post by Mark42 »

I am hearing what you say, but you are not comprehending my explanation. Yes I agree that you can hear Eagles taking off in the background, and it is the 'exact same sounds' - its good of you to spot it actually considering that you don't appear to be a big fan of 1999 -  but there is no crime here to speak of.This thread is called sounds 'SNATCHED' from Space:1999 and you talk of finding 'evidence' and being 'shocked' by this event as if someone has illegally  recorded the sounds directly off the episodes that you mentioned and used them without permission on Star Fleet.But as I pointed out above that is not the case. The evidence is actually in each episode of Starfleet where it says in the credits sound by 'Anvil Sound'. This is the very same company that provided sound effects to the Gerry Anderson productions in the 60s and 70s. As a result the same peoples names often appear in the end credits, like sound man Peter Pennell who worked on the programs Thunderbirds, Space: 1999, Star Maidens and for all we know Star Fleet too.My posting was a response to the point that you keep talking of sounds 'taken' from Space:1999 when in fact they were 'provided' to both Space: 1999 and Star Fleet, thats why you can hear the eagles and background sounds from Moonbase Alpha, because they are using the same source material - and because Star Fleet was cheaper they are reusing and recutting the old tapes to save on the budget. At the end of the day it is their own sounds that they are using, their own tape recordings, and they can reuse them as often as they wanted too on as many programs as they could get away with.

Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(Mark42 @ Nov. 04 2011,21:24)QUOTEI am hearing what you say, but you are not comprehending my explanation. Yes I agree that you can hear Eagles taking off in the background, and it is the 'exact same sounds' - its good of you to spot it actually considering that you don't appear to be a big fan of 1999 -  but there is no crime here to speak of.This thread is called sounds 'SNATCHED' from Space:1999 and you talk of finding 'evidence' and being 'shocked' by this event as if someone has illegally  recorded the sounds directly off the episodes that you mentioned and used them without permission on Star Fleet.But as I pointed out above that is not the case. The evidence is actually in each episode of Starfleet where it says in the credits sound by 'Anvil Sound'. This is the very same company that provided sound effects to the Gerry Anderson productions in the 60s and 70s. As a result the same peoples names often appear in the end credits, like sound man Peter Pennell who worked on the programs Thunderbirds, Space: 1999, Star Maidens and for all we know Star Fleet too.My posting was a response to the point that you keep talking of sounds 'taken' from Space:1999 when in fact they were 'provided' to both Space: 1999 and Star Fleet, thats why you can hear the eagles and background sounds from Moonbase Alpha, because they are using the same source material - and because Star Fleet was cheaper they are reusing and recutting the old tapes to save on the budget. At the end of the day it is their own sounds that they are using, their own tape recordings, and they can reuse them as often as they wanted too on as many programs as they could get away with.Well crap.... I don't think you may have worded it in a greatly understandable way and now I come off sounding like a total arse....I get what you're saying now. And I was shocked in a good way. Knowing this helps me out with my Star Fleet sound project.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

I've watched virtually every episode of "Space: 1999" now and I can confirm that it's true yet apparentally it's not the only source of the sound effects in "Star Fleet"The episodes I was able to source the sounds from are as followsYEAR ONEThe Last Enemy:-The Communication Beeping Sounds (used in most episodes of "Star Fleet")-Series of Explosions (used in every episode)-Second Series of Explosions (used in Episode 2,11 and 13)-Third series of Explosions used from Koenig's trick against Dione's ship (used in the battle between X-Bomber and the Alliance in Episode One - rock crumbling sounds from the original episode are still heard)-The Slow interior varient of Moonbase Alpha's Computers (Used as the Interior drone of X-Bomber)YEAR TWOThe Metamorph:-The Explosions of the Volcano on Psychon (Used in Episodes 8, 13 and 18 - the enginge of the Eagle is still even heard!)One Moment of Humanity:-The mystical drone sound (used as the silent interior of X-Bomber or in it's engine room)Space Warp:-The Motors of the Eagle lift and the metallic clank (used as the Dai-X assembly and X-Bomber's neck cannons)-2nd Eagle lift (Used mainly in Episode 2, 9, 13 and 21 - Maya's Transformed monster growls are even used as the motors grinding into place)-Eagle crashing and explosions (Used primarily from Episode 16-24)That's all I could find from there and there are ones I probably missed as several other sounds we hear in "Star Fleet" I've definately heard in "Space: 1999". Year 2 was where a majority of the sounds came from and Year 2 I despise.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

Lastly, if anyone could help me discover more, if you happen to hear some sounds which particularly you remember from "Star Fleet" - let me know. Mainly the laser sound effects used in the series!