Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
AndyThomas

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Post by AndyThomas »

Apologies for not being around more, my new work blocks the forum as a gaming site because it's hosted on xbomber and I had some daft laptop issues to sort out. Been a deeply busy year and not always for the best reasons, so let's hope 2019 turns things around! Dai-X now has his traditional Christmas outfit on, so all is well with the world! All the best everyone. Oh, and second time out, the X-Bomber LEGO Idea got 180 supporters - more than double the first attempt, but I don't think I'll try it a third time... Thanks to Crash as ever for keeping the lights on!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Re: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year

Post by Crash »

Hi Andy, It's great to hear from you.
I guess it was foreseeable that putting the forum on this server might lead to access issues from workplaces; more-so than if it had stayed put.
Even so, it never really crossed my mind.

It sounds very much as though you've had a very similar year to a lot people that I know; at work and at home.
This year has been a big shake-up and I'm hopeful as well that 2019 will bring closure to it all.

As I was saying to Vanessa, the other day, this site will be around for a long time yet.
I think that it's important that we keep going what Star Fleet sites are left. The TV show and the game and all our discssions, as well as other, related projects deserve that, in my opinion.

Facebook and the like is very convenient. The content has a way of finding the visitor, rather than the other way around.
The downside though is that the content and navigation has very little permanence. Once it's been displayed, it can be difficult to find it after days and weeks have passed.
Aside from that, I don't find any of these big internet companies to be trustworthy and if you run into trouble and your data vanishes, who do you talk to?
Dream big and bold and daring.
Crash

Post by Crash »

On the subject of keeping things safe, it's been quite a while since I took a local copy of the website.
The archive is 16GB. It's not as big as I figured it might be but it wants 9 hours to download.

While I was in the cpanel, generating the backup file, I took a look at the various hosting plans and costs.
It's a good job that I upgraded plans 2 years ago. The plan below ours (which is only slightly cheaper) caps you at 10GB space on their SSDs.

Merry Christmas everyone, if you're passing through, let us know how you are!
Crash

Post by Crash »

I finally got the site backed up. It was quite a pantomime.
The cPanel would create a backup of the home directory and settings and so on and it would let you download a 16GB tar.gz.
When you opened the file, the actual size of the contents were about 100MB with just configuration data.
The remainder of the file was full of zeros where, presumably, cPanel wasn't able to zip up that big of a home folder on the server.

So I pulled the various top-level directories and all their contents using FTP instead and that seemed to work OK.