Thunderbirds 2086 (Technovoyager) scratch-built model

Chat about other 80s stuff, on or off SFXB
Shane

Thunderbirds 2086 (Technovoyager) scratch-built model

Post by Shane »

Hi all, lately I've returned to collecting vintage space toys and now have a few choice Terrahawks, Ulysses 31, Battle of the Planets (Gatchaman) and Mospeada pieces on my lil shelf (Oh and a Takatoku ST Big Dai X). These were some of my favourite shows from my youth with great toys to match (Thank you Popy et al). So I was very dismayed to find that there were no toys produced for Thunderbirds 2086 a.k.a. Science Rescue Team Technovoyager. There were some lovely ship designs featured in the show that cried out to be rendered in diecast and plastic. A wasted opportunity I feel.

Anyhow, while searching (in vain) for Technovoyager Toys I happened upon this amazing scratch-built model constructed by an enthusiast:

http://nosutaru.fc2web.com/karisuma-sei ... ai-tb.html

It's a fair few years old now, so might not be new to some, but it's new to me. So basically... GASP! What a beaut! Would love one of those on the shelf. Can only hope that one day in the future a small company takes a crack at it.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Re: Thunderbirds 2086 (Technovoyager) scratch-built model

Post by Crash »

Never seen it and it is amazing.
What is there from Terrahawks? I've seen some stuff on eBay but it was all fairly average.
The thing is, where you can get a Revoltech Mole from your inlaws for your birthday and you can find a Product Enterprise Stingray, no-one makes anything modern from Terrahawks.

Some of the hardware from TB2086 was pretty good but the show itself was pretty terrible.
I downloaded a few episodes and it was a struggle to get through them.

3D printing for the win, huh?
http://nosutaru.fc2web.com/karisuma-sei ... TB/TB.html

I found the main TB2086 ships a bit blocky but some of the smaller minisubs and spacecraft (which they gave higher TB#s to) were really streamlined and looked modern even today.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Terrahawks-wise, there were a fair amount of toys released in 1983 for a year or two. The figures and smaller ships released were a bit rubbish, wind up Battlehawk anyone? I like the 4 large vehicles (what you'd call DX versions) made out of plastic and diecast metal with minimalistic silver and orange paint scheme; these were, Treehawk, Terrahawk, Battlehawk and Hawkwing. The box art teases a massive Spacehawk, but this was never released, although there are pics of the prototype out there. They might not stand up to 2016 masterpiece scrutiny, but I always had a soft spot for them and I liked the way they didn't cop out with a completely out of place colour scheme, Takatoku X Bombers, I'm looking at you.

Yeah, must say, I agree with you about TB 2086. Beyond the great opening title sequence it wasn't much to write home about, but nice to see a bit of anime on the BBC at tea-time in 1986. Thought about the 3D printing option actually...if the digital 3D models are out there it wouldn't be to much of a problem to print them then modify them a bit so they could combine.

I am a bit of a blocky mech fan to be honest. There are a load of beautiful, fully posable, 'perfect' versions out there now, but I'm a sucker for late 70s early 80s Popy and Bandai.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

It always makes me smile to think of these things being done by people off their own initiative, years and years down the line. Now for me, I think what really maybe made it memorable for me was the Annual. It's where I took my scans from on my page - http://www.sfxb.co.uk/animated/tbirds2086.html
It remains sitting on my dubiously bendy bookshelves even now. It might not stand up to scrutiny so much now, but when I was 11 it seemed great and there were so many vehicles in the annual! Quite interesting actually, how the new series has only really added one more primary craft while 2086 went for lots of dedicated craft. I know it's not Thunderbirds in the purest sense, but like you guys I really did like the design style a lot.
I guess it's now the case that if you can find a reasonable 3D mesh for something you can produce a solid version that you'd just need decent painting skills to complete?
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Shane

Post by Shane »

Well this chap went one better:

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Los-Thund ... -493116472

Cardboard transformers! The mind boggles.

Might have to try and grab a cheap TB 2086 annual on ebay. Does it have images for every TB?

Yeah, 3D printing has come down in price, but not sure of the quality of some of the cheaper printers. However the Technovoyager ships are very basic blocky forms when you get down to it so it wouldn't be nearly as complex as an human form. Most of the work would indeed be in the paint job. Wish I had the patience/skill to create 3D models or I would be half inclined to take a crack at it myself.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Cardboard Gundams are quite good too.

I wouldn't mind having a look at this annual; especially if it shows the rarer, smaller vehicles, which are less boxy.

I wish I had space for a 3D printer - No room in my office among the gravity guns and lancers.

Just spray the thing the overall colour you want and order some gundam paint markers for the details. Those work really well.

I think I'm gonna have a search for a Hawkwing model. Problem is, the Japanese only really know UFO and Thunderbirds.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I thought this would be the easiest way to show you both the annual - Thunderbirds 1 through 17. I suddenly have a hankering after my old Zoids annual but I don't seem to have it anymore. Very unlike me!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79lha-u ... Uw&index=1
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Shane

Post by Shane »

Ah, nice one Andy! Looks really good and fairly in-depth for an 80s annual. Not sure I even remember all those different TBs. Maybe we didn't get all the episodes or I missed some.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Thanks for doing that, I like 7 and 13.