Going After Firestorm

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
Crash

Going After Firestorm

Post by Crash »

I found this on eBay:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Firestorm-Ani ... 4d366f07b1

You seem to be able to get either this 3-disc set or you can try and find the (apparently) 9 single-disc volumes.

There are 26 episodes at about 25mins each. I don't see how the quality can be any good, putting that many episodes on 3 discs.
Dream big and bold and daring.
felice

Re: Going After Firestorm

Post by felice »

I wouldn't worry about the number of episodes per disc; it's standard to include four episodes of a 50 minute live action show on a disc, which is the same runtime as eight 25 minute episodes, and in general animation should compress better than live action.
Crash

Post by Crash »

I might bag it in that case. I'll see how rich I'm feeling in a couple of days. I've bought a lot of frivolous stuff this month so...

Thanks for that,

I did find this set, apparently in stock, on animedvd.co.uk. They use a payment processor called Skrill and only that.

All that means is that they can take your money and not deliver anything.

Just stay away from both of them is my advice.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Ha. Skrill. Funny: http://efc.wikia.com/wiki/Skrill
I didn't know about Firestorm, I'd seen the kickstarter mentioned in the Gerry Anderson YouTube channel but hadn't read anything about it as the character designs seemed, well, childish I suppose. I'm surprised the original didn't do better, Anderson shows were always well liked in Japan, but it sounds a bit Gatchaman-y or something perhaps for a Japanese audience...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Post by Crash »

I know, I wanted to use one on them.
That weapon was the coolest. Can you remember though how dreadful that show became after the 1st season? It managed to get far more terrible still in the last season.
Even so, I have a faint urge to dip into the series again.

The original Firestorm was fine. It has everything a Gerry Anderson show should - none of the usual Japanese Evangelion-style high-art-drama nonsense or Power Rangers / giant robot clichés.

It was just like the 'New' Captain Scarlet but with different characters and gear - and slightly better.

The actual animation was a bit straightforward but the CGI vehicles are awesome.
Crash

Post by Crash »

I finally placed an order on that Firestorm DVD. I made an offer of $20 less than the asking price. That was a good thing because I then got hit with $40 of duty.

When it arrives, I'll put up some screenshots.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Alright, Firestorm cleared customs at Heathrow yesterday!

When it arrives, I'm going to email the shop I originally bought it from (who never shipped it) and let them know it arrived.

They'll not be expecting that, much.

I might have seen the show but it was some weird torrent. I even had to install some random client because the tracker wouldn't let uTorrent connect.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Firestorm's here! The box is pretty cool. The show has good visuals of the ships and these are shown on the cover.
The picture quality is less-than-stellar. It actually looks like a VHS transfer because the colours are kind of smudged and bleary. Other aspects of the picture are quite sharp though. As expected they've crammed 8 episodes onto each disc.
There's no English dub because the show was never recorded in anything but Japanese.
There are subtitles in English but the translation is terrible - so bad infact that you struggle at points to figure out what's going on. At other times, it's just distracting.

The show itself is very cool though. The first two episodes don't mess around.

I wonder whether the individual DVD volumes with only a couple of episodes per disc have significantly better quality. I might order one from Japan to find out.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Here we have the first of three salvos of screengrabs:

http://xbomber.co.uk/?dir=Other/FireStorm

There's something about this show that I really like. I think it's that the Japanese 'get' Gerry Anderson but in a slightly different way.
It's modernised Thunderbirds and UFO on steroids.
Crash

Post by Crash »

I was meaning to do this for a long time but I finally got around ordering the first of the individual Firestorm DVDs, as opposed to the 3-disc box set.
I'd only been able to find the occasional result for those discs on eBay and Rinkya before now.
The problem with Rinkya is that getting anything from there is very hard work and on eBay, they were quite expensive.

Anyway, I was looking the other day on eBay, and apparently a supplier in Australia (I don't understand that either) has nearly the whole set.

The point is to see if the individual DVDs will give me better picture quality for screengrabs and personal watching than the box set.
In a way, I kind of hope that it won't because I think there are 13 volumes covering the 26 episodes and that will be expensive to get all of them.

In any case, the DVD covers are really cool - so at least you'd have those to scan in, and maybe some good menus to screenshot.