Gerry Anderson

Ever popular - so much so, it deserves its own forum!
Crash

Gerry Anderson

Post by Crash »

Special effects for one,You got more literally more bang for your buck with Thunderbirds - more explosions, bigger fireballs, more destruction.I think the design work on Terrahawks could have been better.While the Battlehawk had its good points, it was a flying brick that looked like it should never have taken off.The idea of the entire building rocking back to launch it was a stretch too for of my credulity as well.But everything about Hawkwing's launch through the vortex was just epic.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Rachel

Gerry Anderson

Post by Rachel »

18 years ago, I did an MA in Children's Literature. One of the modules that did NOT run during my MA year = Children's Radio, Film & Television; if it had run, I reckon a feasible essay topic could have been why Terrahawks was "not destined for immortality" (a quotation I once saw in an article about Anderson), despite its great ingredients, such as "imaginative baddies" (quoting another article), and the fantastic zeroids.
Crash

Gerry Anderson

Post by Crash »

It had its moments, that show but it had a certain bizarre feel to it rather than the cosy geniality of Thunderbirds. It wasn't exactly cute.Some of the mecha designs just didn't quite gel in my mind. Hawkwing and Battletank were the main exceptions.I saw on Youtube that they're trying to remaster Terrahawks for HD. I'm pleased about that.
Rachel

Gerry Anderson

Post by Rachel »

Were any other Anderson characters as cute as the zeroids? Somehow, I doubt it...I now wish I'd voted for the Commonwealth Children's Literature module to run; I may (possibly) have thus got to study the book of Dot & the Kangaroo (I didn't know that was a book long b4 it was a film); and Blinky Bill, who may be Australia's answer to Rupert. I'm glad there was a Myth & Folktale module, as I got to write about mermaids.
Crash

Gerry Anderson

Post by Crash »

The show was creepy though.The Zeroids were awesome - I dunno if they were cute.- depends what you mean by cute though - there was always Marina in Stingray. As a 5-year-old, I remember finding her interesting.I spoke to someone at work called Zelda yesterday. I put my phone on mute and I just said out loud 'great, I've got a puppet from Terrahawks on the phone'.That seemed to strike quite a nerve amongst everyone in the office who was older than I was. Cameron actually did a really good impression of Yung Star.
Rachel

Re: Gerry Anderson

Post by Rachel »

What was that Zelda like, on the phone?

I suspect Moid, the Unseen Menace, has been round at my flat, tampering with my heating system: the radiators became cold much earlier than they should have; and I can't find the User's Guide. Sheesh, I wanted a relaxing evening watching Upstairs, Downstairs DVDs. :roll:
Crash

Re: Gerry Anderson

Post by Crash »

I think she was pleasant, I can't remember. She was Spanish or maybe German, I think.

Time to get a spanner out and bleed those radiators, I reckon.

One thing about this new house at our end: it might be smallish and have a lot of stairs but it is very warm and cheap to heat.