Star Fleet intro - Remastered

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
felice

Post by felice »

How's this?It's done in Blender - absolutely awesome software, but there's a bit of a learning curve (I've barely scratched the surface).
Crash

Post by Crash »

Ahh, yes, magic! I love it!Thank you very much!I think we'll be seeing this in the next version!EDIT: Actually, I think I'm gonna put this as the background on my big screen.

Dream big and bold and daring.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Well, I'm a little late to this thread, but my Laptop broke.However, someone near and dear fixed it for me (the screen backlight inverter/driver had burnt out).£15 later and it's up and running again, phew!Anyway, firstly that's a great job you've done of the re-mastered intro there Bladez, It's much improved IMHO.We could do with the entire show getting the same treatment Secondly, very impressive X Bomber logo Felice.There are some talented people on this forum.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(Vanessa @ Sep. 27 2011,21:45)QUOTEWell, I'm a little late to this thread, but my Laptop broke.However, someone near and dear fixed it for me   (the screen backlight inverter/driver had burnt out).£15 later and it's up and running again, phew!Anyway, firstly that's a great job you've done of the re-mastered intro there Bladez, It's much improved IMHO.We could do with the entire show getting the same treatment   Secondly, very impressive X Bomber logo Felice.There are some talented people on this forum.It would be possible to do it footage wise. There's the French DVD out there with superlative footage even surpassing the Japanese masters. But the French cut some scenes before the commercial transitions or shortened themWeird how this forum turned into some logo creating thing, not that i'm complaining; I'm loving what I've seen.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Screen inverters are a nightmare sometimes.I do a lot of helping folk out on the Rock notebook forums. They don't seem to sell many machines anymore, now that they were bought out.But there are loads of people with fairly old machines, like my 'old' X770 (I should really flog that on the next FreeBay weekend) and I would say that the second-biggest hardware failure is inverters, the first being graphics cards.Graphics card failure is pretty common on gaming notebooks because they run pretty hot for mobile parts and they cards aren't made to the same quality as desktop cards so the soldering often fails.Identifying a GPU for a notebook isn't such a big deal because they're a bit more interchangeable nowadays and they're such a big part of a gaming notebook that people know a lot about them (because they can sometimes be upgraded) but screen inverters are a problem. Nobody knows, hardly anybody cares.Who published the French DVD? Was it Fabulous Films as well?Odd that they would produce such separate products and do us out of some quality footage if they had the rights to all of it.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ Oct. 12 2011,12:50)QUOTEWho published the French DVD? Was it Fabulous Films as well?Odd that they would produce such separate products and do us out of some quality footage if they had the rights to all of it.Don't believe it was. Actually it was KazeHere's a comparison between the Japanese (left), French (middle) and English (right) masters. In the Japanese one, we've got more on top of the screen, and a wholly bluish hue. The English version loses a bit on top, but there's a plus as we gain a little more on the right hand side. The French version cuts the top and doesn't have the more on the right, but has wonderful quality; not too light blue like the JP and not to saturated like the English version. The French version got a full footage remastering treatment with a good amount of contrast. You wouldn't even know it was shot in 1982!I did some touching up to the still of the "Star Fleet" title cue for my Supermarionation site http://supermarionationworld.webs.com
Mach1na

Post by Mach1na »

I'm going to order the French DVD set and remux it with the English audio. I was hugely disappointed with the quality of the English video quality.
Even in Death, I still Serve
Crash

Post by Crash »

Agreed.If you could get the stereo conversion of the English audio and add that it would be amazing.Don't think I could host anything that big but you should definitely torrent it.The centre (French) footage is very sharp, as though it has genuinely been remastered.Also, it looks as though the colours have been auto-levelled like how photoshop can stretch the colourspace or whatever of an image so that the reds are the reddest and the darks are the darkest etc.I thought it was the UK DVDs that had a strange 5:4 aspect ratio (?).
Shane

Post by Shane »

The french screengrab is very good. I'm shocked at how bad the UK version looks in comparison. We all know it's bad, and has been from the very beginning when it was first transmitted, but seeing them next to each other really illustrates the difference in picture quality.The Japanese DVD just needs the contrast turned up and the colour levels to be tweaked a little and then it would be fairly close to the quality of the french screengrab. I've done this to a few screen grabs that I've used on big dai x.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Mach1na

Post by Mach1na »

Well peeps I'll keep you all informed. Going to order the DVDs this weekend. The remux shouldn't take too long but I want to get it right.
Even in Death, I still Serve