UK DVD release

Chat about collectables, videos
Shane

UK DVD release

Post by Shane »

Ah, you won the competion draw then? Well done.I was kinda hoping I'd get lucky myself, but fair play to ya. I shall wait for a cheaper deal on the price of the set before purchasing.

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

UK DVD release

Post by Crash »

I'm sorry about that... and the people at the blog were the lovliest folks as well - that was another thing. I said I'd help them with any coding or design they wanted doing on their blog or whatever they needed to return the favour so...I think I'll put a thing on my site about it - a page reviewing the set and so on.I think they maybe took pity on me because I said, obviously, what a big fan I was of it and how irritated I was at Fab Films' extra-curricular activities surrounding the release etc. Plus I'm a skint student. I can barely afford the electricity to keep my computer running to write my game.My luck has been rock-bottom lately and all of a sudden it's kinda jumped back up. I'm just waiting for my Gunpla from Japan now.Are you gonna come and meet up with ... well ... us at Birmingham on the 29th? Otherwise it might just be me and Dave.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

UK DVD release

Post by Shane »

Nah, like I said - glad someone on here won it. We're much more deserving of it. Unfortunately, I can't attend the meet-up because of a couple of prior engagements over that weekend, but have a good one.

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Darthdc

UK DVD release

Post by Darthdc »

Just to add that HMV have the boxset at £39.99 on their website now. Initially it was £28.99 - the price I paid. Did check for sign of CD release date but nothing showing up.
May the Force be with you!
Crash

UK DVD release

Post by Crash »

Whoo - considering that this show is 30 years old and not all that long £40 is quite steep.
Son Of Chronos

UK DVD release

Post by Son Of Chronos »

Wow I cant believe it, star fleet is on DVD, yes I know Im very late, just the other day I was thinking about the show and thought about rewatching my dodgey vcd copy again, then I thought Id pop here to have a look and I almost choked when I saw that it was actually remasterd and on DVD.Yes I used to lurk this site a few years ago so I knew what most of you have been waiting for, of course I gave up on such a thing even happening, but Im glad it did, and I will be defently picking the DVD up some time this week.I actually read through all the pages right up to here, seems most of you are general sci-fi fans, thats great me too, im also really into Gundam and mecha stuff.I can however see the forum is on its last legs so to speak, I mean Im bumping a what 2/3 month old thread, i guess once SF was out on DVD their was nothing else to wait for, but what about that soundtrack I saw some of you mention any word on that?would love to get my hands on that.You know I thought i was one of the few SF fans out there, every time I ask someone hey do you remember starfleet they looked at me with a puzzled face and these people were born in the 80s lol, for shame.Well im really glad its on DVD now, so I can show these fools what a great show it was.Seems like some of you are local to bham as well, signing up to the forum was abit tricky but I understand why its done.I dont really like forums that much anyway, usually just full of raging fanboys/trolls etc, so I just stay away, doesnt seem that bad here, all be it theirs hardly anyone here anymore lol, still I dont see myself posting much.Just thought Id throw in my 2 cents instead of just continually lurking lol.

Bradster

UK DVD release

Post by Bradster »

Welcome! It's always nice to have a new face around here. I haven't been through the registration process here lately, but my understanding is that Andy made the process more manual so he could reduce bot spamming on the forums.Yeah, this place always seems like its "on its last legs", but I guess that's to be expected given that it's for a somewhat niche sci-fi show that didn't "make it big". Been that way for years, but it's still a great place to visit, reminisce with others, and recognize that you're not crazy for having some vague memories about some space opera with a big red robot.You're definitely not alone in getting blank stares when you mention Star Fleet. I've described the show to a few people over the years and no one seems to remember it. To be honest, I didn't know about it until the 90s when an old friend introduced me to his VHS tapes of the eight-volume US set. When he made copies for me, something about it just "clicked" for me and I've had a soft spot for it ever since.Sure enough, we're all a bunch of sci-fi fans here of various breeds. I count myself as a Trekkie at heart (even used to dress up and go to conventions back when TNG was all the rage).I see you found the other thread about the soundtrack... we're all still waiting on that, too.

Crash

UK DVD release

Post by Crash »

Welcome across, I think the starfleet fanbase has been a victim of its own success.We've got the DVD released, told quite a few people about the show and there's not a lot left to be done. Only thing left is the soundtrack, which may or may not be forthcoming.I think we've all been scratching our heads as to where to go next. I know I'm interested in Japanese anime sci-fi but not all of it Gundam SEED onwards and Macross F are my main ones. I've tried to get into the originals but they just doesn't hold my interest.It's a really good group of posters we have here, really good so I'd be interested in any ideas to keep the band together.One thing I did think of was to have a forum relating to a broad range of interests - such as Bab5 (and its huge modding and game-related scene), Gundam etc. (I've started a collection of Japanese Gunpla), which I should link to and so on.I think it's the only way to keep Star Fleet alive.
Son Of Chronos

UK DVD release

Post by Son Of Chronos »

Thanks for the welcome Bradster and Crash.Yeah you're right starfleet was never big, why not is one of the biggest Mysteries, I mean its got everything you would want in a kids show, giant robots, cool space ships, lots of great action and great character designs, I wonder if it had been an animated series rather than puppets would it have done better? who knows whats done is done I guess, its just going to be one of those cult things.I wouldnt want them to make a second series now anyway, they would ruin it, kids tv these days is totally pants, imo it fell of during the early 00'sNo surprise during the rise of the internet, which has all but made TV obsolete, you get the kids DL'ing the latest fansub episodes of Naruto, One Piece etc, the only thing on tv really is live music.I swear everytime I turn channel 4 on all i see is festivals/live music of some sort, far cry from when they used to show anime late at night, dunno if any of you guys remember that.Hey Brad Im a trekkie too, all be it I dont go as far as dressing up and going to cons, well actually thats a lie I have been to anime expo in london, but thats just a mix mash of lots of things not just star trek.DS9 was my fav series, I really need to get that on DVD, most trek fans consider it the outkast of the series and maybe it is because it did something different, I actually hated it at first and refused to watch it even, then one day i dunno i just started to get into it, and I stuck with it, was gutted when it ended and even gutted more when they never made any movies on it, although I surpose the way DS9 ended it was really over, so a movie would have to be set between the series somewhere, oh well its never going to happen now anyway.What did you think of the new star trek movie? I thought it was ok, dont know why they had to mix with the real timeline rather than just reboot the series proper, also I could not take sylar as spock, just every time I saw him all I saw was sylar i was just waiting for him to do his head thing lol.Im not sure they really know what to do with trek anymore, while that movie was ok, it seems any kind of TV show is out of the question thanks to the franchise killer enterprise, plus sci-fi on TV does not seem to last or do very well on TV anymore.Much like starfleet maybe trek is just over I dunno, hey have you seen a movie called "fanboys" lol watched it last night its so funny, you have to check it out if you havent, star wars fans vs star trek fans lol it even has william shatner in there. Ah now about the Gundams, well i first got into it about 9 years ago when I saw Gundam Wing on cartoon network, since then Ive gone back and watched most of the shows, I actually just finished watching the entire UC series, that was a really epic storyline, Im surprised you dont like it, Zeta Gundam is probably the best Gundam ever, most fans agree with this, its hard for me to say start with this because its like the 2nd part to the UC saga.Its funny because Gundam SEED is just a remake of the older UC series, I laughed at how much stuff they took from the old shows, maybe its just to old for you to get into, I mean that is from the 70s, I dont have a problem with old animation though.Maybe you should watch the Zeta movies since they have redone most of the animation, but kept the old style which i prefer rather than these genric anime characters you get in SEED, seriously characters look to alike in SEED.I thought the show SEED that is was ok, but the one after that Destiny oh my life worst Gundam ever Im sorry I really hate it.Mostly I hate how Kira and TEAM Lucas comeback and basically take over the show, Im like really you going to do that, I much more interested in the new captain women and her crew and shin, but they had to completely side line them, shinn became nothing more than a raging looney sidekick.Plus in destiny Kira has no rival, he just destorys everyone and anything that gets in his way like nothing, atleast in the older SEED athrun was his rival, but not even he can match God Kira, lol i wonder how he would fair against Domon Kasshu Shinnnnnnnng Finger!! in his God Gundam.Still there making that SEED movie, imo that will either make or break that whole series for me, I just hope its not full of TEAM Lucas and kira whooping everyone.Ive been meaning to watch Macross F but theirs too many other shows for me to watch right now.I collect Gunpla as well, I have stocked up on few models but have yet to build any, I have no space to stick them at the mo.What would be great is if Bandai made a Dia-x gunpla, oh man i would buy that, of course thats probably not going to happen, but hey I thought the same about the DVD.LOL taking of Gunplas you must have seen that 1/1 model they made, if only i was in japan to see that with my own eyes, what a sight that would be.Yes I had a look round the forum and found the soundtrack thread and other interesting threads, hmm how to keep star fleet alive thats a good question, well will still have the soundtrack to come/wait for so theirs one.I was wondering if they were waiting to see how well the DVD sold before doing a soundtrack, just how well did the DVD do anyway, anyone got any numbers? you think it was just the people here that bought it? or did some random people pick it up for being retro as well?In any case im just wondering if it didnt do well enough and they decicded not to bother with the soundtrack, that would really suck if so, I know BBC are like that with some of their old shows released on DVD, for example Grange Hill the 80s version sold poorly so they didnt bother releasing anymore.Keeping star fleet alive well you have other shows from the 80s/90s we can talk about i saw a section for that on here.Erm a possible new series(even though i dont want it )Realistically though the soundtrack is really the last part of the puzzle, im not sure what you could talk about after that, other than repeat stuff you find watching episodes that you never noticed before.Oh dear sorry for my wall of text, I often do that.

Crash

UK DVD release

Post by Crash »

Yeah, I dunno what it is about the sountrack - I get the feeling all's not quite well with that one, but I don't know why and I'll be happy when I'm proved wrong.Sadly I think Star Trek lived and died with Gene Roddenberry. When he died during the making of DS9 you could see the progression through Voyager and First Contact etc of Star Trek coasting into cheap pop-sci-fi. Enterprise - I just ignore it. It could easily have been a really good series it just hurts too much to watch it sometimes because of that.Gundam SEED Destiny certainly started well, with a good plot that mirrored the original (in an interesting way, while not quite hamming it) and kept phenomenal pace and action until about episode 45 where it became clear that because of missed deadlines and confused writing the end would have to be either something amazing or a complete train-wreck and it just couldn't have been the former. The only thing that irked throughout was the main producer's (Fukuda's) fixation on Kira, which became obvious to the point of painfulness near the end, when this was supposed to be Athrun's series. I think Athrun is probably the better pilot - you see that in the original series toward the end. The difference is in their mobile suits (Justice is an anti-Gundam and Freedom is an anti-everything).Athrun certainly got a good look-in at the start - how good was the start of the series without Kira? Brilliant!It started brilliantly and ended terribly and it was the 'main' character that ruined it.