UK DVD release

Chat about collectables, videos
Crash

UK DVD release

Post by Crash »

(Shane @ Feb. 14 2009,17:06)QUOTEI still think there is a dream project for some-one's own personal pleasure to either fan-sub X Bomber into English or replace the Japanese soundtrack with the UK one. The X Bomber original footage was shot on film and is very clear and colourful, to the point where you see nearly every wire used for the model shots. Star Fleet's original masters have always had a slightly washed out video look to them even from first transmission, so in effect the FF people were remastering a second generation copy from the outset.Honestly, we should!Having the original japanese footage along with english soundtrack would be great.Subtitling it would be very doable but you would have to forget about the english-version music.
Dream big and bold and daring.
djdust

UK DVD release

Post by djdust »

I had a plan last year to make a fan-made DVD of Star Fleet by taking the Japanese DVDs and overlaying the UK soundtrack on top by stitching it all together from various sources. That job would be a billion times easier now that the full uncut soundtrack is on the new DVDs...
F-Zero-One - the Star Fleet / X Bomber site.....http://www.starfleetxbomber.com
Shane

UK DVD release

Post by Shane »

(djdust @ Feb. 15 2009,14:25)QUOTEI had a plan last year to make a fan-made DVD of Star Fleet by taking the Japanese DVDs and overlaying the UK soundtrack on top by stitching it all together from various sources.  That job would be a billion times easier now that the full uncut soundtrack is on the new DVDs...That's what I was thinking, it would be so easy to do now. My Japanese set is in storage, and I've yet to purchase the new Star Fleet DVD set, but it would be the way to go for the definitive high quality version of Star Fleet. You could even do something with the extra Japanese episode as it's mainly a flashback affair.

I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
jamesaevans

UK DVD release

Post by jamesaevans »

Indepth review of the DVD box set at DVD Times:http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content....es.htmlProbably the best and most accurate review so far with some nice screen shots.James
djdust

UK DVD release

Post by djdust »

^^ superb review I've just started watching the "making of" documentary on Disc 3 and have to paused it to say I'm pretty unimpressed so far...Firstly, the title sequence at the beginning was obviously taken from Episode 3 as it has a couple of frames of the actual start of the episode at the end of it (with Makara's ship hovering above Star Fleet command) before it jarringly cuts to Go Nagai!!  That is an unforgivable editing cock-up.  6 minutes in and this programme seems to consist of very dull talking head interviews intercut with random scenes unconnected to what's actually being discussed.  Again, it's not very edited - no pace to it at all...*grumble grumble*  

djdust

UK DVD release

Post by djdust »

..and just finished it. Not the greatest documentary I've ever seen really. The editing really was bloody awful with no consistency to how it was all cobbled together and sound levels all over the shop. Still, it was better than nothing and at least it was nice to see what some of the people behind the scenes actually look like!
Serenity

UK DVD release

Post by Serenity »

^^ I wasn't too bothered about the Gerry Anderson stuff. The best bits of the interviews for me were the Louis Elman and Peter Marinker bits, although to be fair, Go Nagai's stuff was interesting. I'd imagine a lot's lost in translation. The Paul Bliss bit sounded scripted but again, was informative if you haven't read any interviews with him previously. All in all, could have been better, but certainly better than nothing. A shame that Go Nagai didn't go into a bit more detail about what a second season might have looked like.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
djdust

UK DVD release

Post by djdust »

I've just realised something else that annoyed me about the documentary. It didn't actually make it clear that the original Japanese show was called "X Bomber" and Star Fleet is specifically the British version. In the interview with Go Nagai he keeps referring to the programme as Star Fleet and the characters by their UK names - that can't be right, surely?
Serenity

UK DVD release

Post by Serenity »

Go Nagai actually references the show as both Star Fleet and X-Bomber at certain points in the interview. Personally, I'd lay the blame for that at the feet of the people conducting the interview. Chances are that it was them that were getting things mixed up and he was just too polite to say anything different.Can't think of too many times where he referenced the characters. The only one that comes to mind is when he namechecks Hercules, but then, he was Hercules in both versions. He didn't mention whether it was Barry or Bongo. From memory anyway.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
jack18

UK DVD release

Post by jack18 »

i have bought my copy have watched the first 18 episodes even though episode 17 wouldn't play went onto episode 18 watched a bit of that went back to episode 17 and then when i selected play episode it did. other than that the remastering is great on each episode why the critics are on about the remastering being really poor but they have to remember this series is 27 years old you are going to see some grain it's not going to be pin sharp. i loved the 34 minute making of glad to see Louis Elman i always wondered what he looked i liked the way he explained when they got x bomber there was no voice track and no music soundtrack just a picture and the interview with Peter Marinker was good as well. so i just don't know why the reviews are saying the remastering isn't that good i think it is and fabulous films have done a really good job.