UK DVD release

Chat about collectables, videos
Crash

UK DVD release

Post by Crash »

Does your software let you rip to an h264 format like mp4 or mkv, rather than avi?You get a lot better faithfulness to the original at the same filesize.The only downside is that the computer takes longer to encode such a file.I would be tempted to rip it in Handbrake, personally.Infact, looking at those comparisons above on a big screen, I think what you're seeing on the French DVDs is digital artefacting or noise from a digital post-process or remastering.Down the left side, you retain the film grain and have a smoother texture on flat backgrounds and the characters' skin.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bladez636

UK DVD release

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ Nov. 06 2012,22:17)QUOTEDoes your software let you rip to an h264 format like mp4 or mkv, rather than avi?You get a lot better faithfulness to the original at the same filesize.The only downside is that the computer takes longer to encode such a file.I would be tempted to rip it in Handbrake, personally.Infact, looking at those comparisons above on a big screen, I think what you're seeing on the French DVDs is digital artefacting or noise from a digital post-process or remastering.Down the left side, you retain the film grain and have a smoother texture on flat backgrounds and the characters' skin.No, it doesn't - mp4 yeah, but I didn't like the result in the end.
Happosai

UK DVD release

Post by Happosai »

It's worth noting that AVI, MKV and MP4 are all digital media container formats (basically, a way of storing digital video, audio, subtitles, etc. in a single file), not video compression codecs, and hence don't directly affect the quality of the video -- you can store video encoded with pretty much any codec (e.g. 'Xvid', 'x264') in any of those container formats.[Happosai]
Crash

UK DVD release

Post by Crash »

That's it.I still feel that h264 compresses detail much better than Xvid, which is old-school.I can't stand these old Xvid AVI files because they're so blocky. That's why they've fallen out of favour with fansub groups, I guess.I seldom see Xvid inside an .mkv container - that would be weird.Normally .mkvs have an h264 video stream instead.The mkv format is also good from the point of view of optional subtitles and selectable audio tracks.It would also be weird for MP4 not to have an mpeg4 video stream.The container and the video format seem to clump together in groups even if you can chop and choose in theory.
Bladez636

UK DVD release

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ Nov. 14 2012,21:06)QUOTEThat's it.I still feel that h264 compresses detail much better than Xvid, which is old-school.I can't stand these old Xvid AVI files because they're so blocky. That's why they've fallen out of favour with fansub groups, I guess.I seldom see Xvid inside an .mkv container - that would be weird.Normally .mkvs have an h264 video stream instead.The mkv format is also good from the point of view of optional subtitles and selectable audio tracks.It would also be weird for MP4 not to have an mpeg4 video stream.The container and the video format seem to clump together in groups even if you can chop and choose in theory.I chose AVI because it removed much of the noise, MP4 kept it for the most part. I just need to do some additional noise removal in Sony Vegas whenever I'm able to edit the files together. For the most part, the rips came out smoothly --minimal amounts of pixelation. If I find them a pain to work with, I'll rip the MPEG's with the full noise and remove it.
Crash

UK DVD release

Post by Crash »

I'm sure you're doing it right - I look forward to seeing everything you've been up to.