X Bomber Encyclopedia

Chat about collectables, videos
Crash

X Bomber Encyclopedia

Post by Crash »

Yeah, I don't see how you could pull colour from a greyscale digital image. It's just 255 shades of red, green and blue. It has no hidden chemical data that can be processed.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bladez636

X Bomber Encyclopedia

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ Oct. 11 2012,13:50)QUOTEYeah, I don't see how you could pull colour from a greyscale digital image. It's just 255 shades of red, green and blue. It has no hidden chemical data that can be processed.Right.I'm sure uncertain how colorizing works with the professional recovery tools for B&W Movies/TV Series - but whatever.
felice

X Bomber Encyclopedia

Post by felice »

(Bladez636 @ Oct. 12 2012,09:32)QUOTEI'm sure uncertain how colorizing works with the professional recovery tools for B&W Movies/TV Series - but whatever.There's a good article on it here if you're interested.
Crash

X Bomber Encyclopedia

Post by Crash »

Thanks Felice, that was roughly how I understood it to be done. It's funny how it goes into great detail in every area except how the computer program actually determines the colour. It suddenly gets rather vague at that point.I suspect it's either stupidly complex or a trade secret.But it's incredible how the colour information was sitting under peoples' noses all this time.I know they used this process on the first episode of FireBall XL5. Did they ever bother with the remainder of the series? If so, that would well be worth an order from Amazon.When they first started test-filming Stingray, they used 3 cameras; one with red film, another with green and the other with blue.That was one way of getting a technicolour image but it was too expensive to film all the takes. So they began to use, what to us is, an ordinary colour film television camera, which was brand new then.So, the fact that we can now go back and get info from the film negative that is invisible to the human eye and reconstruct so accurately what the colour really was ... it makes you feel a lot less cynical and jaded about the 'image reconstruction' and 'image enhancement' that you see on Star Trek and Bladerunner and the like.It's become a popular joke how, in CSI, they'll take a speed camera photograph of a vehicle and 'enhance' it discover the fingerprint of the last person to open the driver's door.I exaggerate the point to make the point but not by very much.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Joe Meredith

X Bomber Encyclopedia

Post by Joe Meredith »

Wow, I too never thought I would see this book in the flesh...for a while I used to search for it but eventually gave up assuming it was a myth!Vanessa - are there many images of the Alliance cruiser in it?Well done on getting hold of it!
Bladez636

X Bomber Encyclopedia

Post by Bladez636 »

This topic is old, but going back to some colorizations of the BW profile images-here I did Professor Hagen out of boredom while Up North
Vanessa

X Bomber Encyclopedia

Post by Vanessa »

Nice work Bladez!Can you do some of the other rarer characters?
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Bladez636

X Bomber Encyclopedia

Post by Bladez636 »

(Vanessa @ Oct. 15 2013,10:59)QUOTENice work Bladez!Can you do some of the other rarer characters?I'll be doing pretty much all the ones I need (Some I don't need to recolor as I have different sources for them). Halley will be difficult since his cape in BW is bright, but I can get him.Also trying to look through other scans people have for a better picture of Carter-the one in the book just looks odd to me.Prime reason I'm colorizing them is that I'm planning on using these shots for my DVD Project Character profiles
Vanessa

X Bomber Encyclopedia

Post by Vanessa »

I did send in to the X-Bomber gallery a scan of a poster from an Italian (I think) magazine which showed full colour character shots of some of the rarer Star Fleet characters. Crash may still have this scanned image as I'm not sure if the Gallery he used to maintain is still up? The magazine was called Starlog (I think).This might be of use to you for your DVD project, it sounds interesting by the way...
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Bladez636

X Bomber Encyclopedia

Post by Bladez636 »

(Vanessa @ Oct. 15 2013,17:36)QUOTEI did send in to the X-Bomber gallery a scan of a poster from an Italian (I think) magazine which showed full colour character shots of some of the rarer Star Fleet characters. Crash may still have this scanned image as I'm not sure if the Gallery he used to maintain is still up? The magazine was called Starlog (I think).This might be of use to you for your DVD project, it sounds interesting by the way...Yeah, but it's too small of resolution to be any use to me really. Crash directed me to the user who sent him it, but apparently that user hasn't been online since like 2009 or earlier, don't remember.I am utilizing the one poster you scanned, Vanessa that has full body shots of Lamia and Shiro as well as some smaller of the rest of the cast-but some like Makara and Orion are blocked off so I can't use them.