RIP Mike Noble

Chat about collectables, videos
Vanessa

RIP Mike Noble

Post by Vanessa »

Not been on here in a long while, but I found out today that Mike Noble passed away on 15th November 2018, just.
He was one of my favourite comic strip artists and drew all but the first of the Star Fleet comic strips that appeared in Look In magazine. I am very lucky indeed to actually own two pages of his original artwork from that comic strip. I always found his artwork simply perfect and so exquisitely detailed. Apparently he trained as a technical illustrator, and as a technical illustrator myself I can see his eye for detail was what made his comic strip artwork appeal so much to me. You are sorely missed from today's comic artwork Mike, thank you for your amazing work.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Re: RIP Mike Noble

Post by Crash »

Good to see you!
Wish it had been better news,

Those Star Fleet comic strips from Look-In really looked to have been done by someone that watched a good deal of the show and got what it was about.

One thing I don't get about those comics is how they did a colourized version in the booklet that came with the UK DVD but the original publication in Look-In was black-and-white.
Was the original artwork black-and-white or colour?
Dream big and bold and daring.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Hi Crash,
Good to chat again too :)
The original artwork is black and white, and I'm not sure who colourised it for the DVD booklet. I doubt it was Mike, but I could be wrong. Mike did do colour artwork for other comic strips though, mostly for Gerry Anderson shows like Captain Scarlet.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Post by Crash »

That was the answer I was expecting.
In Look-In, you could see that the images were all shaded; either with pen or pencil.

Yet in the DVD booklet, the colouration is more like they were inked or painted over afterwards.
I do plan on scanning that in so that we have both versions on the website.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Awesome Crash! Keep up the good work, this forum would be dead without your efforts.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Post by Crash »

That's real kind of you.
It's always gonna be Andy's forum but it was certainly a worthwhile effort to convert the forum and bring it back when the old forum software couldn't carry us any further.
It doesn't seem like nearly 4 years ago that we did that.

Anyway, the forum and X-Bomber game site will be here if anyone wants them.
One day, it'll be just facebook, twitter and pinterest ... but this will probably still be here too.
Dr. Ben

Post by Dr. Ben »

Mike will certainly be missed!

Personally, I've always loved the community here much more than the Facebook/Twitter style community. But that's just me...

Thanks to both of you for keeping it alive
Crash

Post by Crash »

Hi, Good to see you!
Despite my slight reservations, Facebook has helped our local church out a lot. It's a good way of creating engagement.
On a personal level, it's quite interesting and a good experience if you choose your friends and people that you follow carefully.

In life and on websites (not this one) you have people who are there to do you damage. You gotta just have no hesitation in just flushing them out of your life and Facebook gives you quite a bit of flexibility in doing that. It's just a case of finding the options on what is oddly, quite an old-fashioned and clunky-looking website.

I guess, they want you using their app which can harvest far more information from the host device than a website can.