Help shape the Star Fleet DVD

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

I couldn't help but notice that, despite the "U" certificate, Go Nagai in the interview has Silenes (a character from Devilman)... er... body... right behind his left ear for most of the sequence...
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Darthdc

Post by Darthdc »

Mines on its way too. Hopefully tomorrow if at all. As for Cities of Gold, there are plenty around. Comical how HMV still show it as an exclusive to them - I've seen it on sale at Forbidden Planet.
May the Force be with you!
Serenity

Post by Serenity »

MCOG is available everywhere now. HMV had exclusivity around it for 6 months I think.Gotta say, with the MCOG release, and now the Star Fleet one, the quality of the product has been fantastic. Well done to FF. I can't imagine another distributor taking as much time and giving these releases the love and attention that they both deserved.The only sad thing is, I can't think of any more releases that they could make that I'd be interested in. The shows that dominate my earliest memories are Star Fleet and MCOG. Already got Ulysses 31, shame that couldn't have had a similarly well-crafted release, with extras.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
jack18

Post by jack18 »

it was the same with me in birmingham we have 3 hmv stores and all three were sold out i asked in the bull ring to see when they'll be having anymore copies and the assistant told they have 15 copies on order but the thing is how many of them are going to be pre orders.luckily i asked a friend to order the complete boxset through play.comAndrew
Serenity

Post by Serenity »

^^ The lack of availability is odd. AFAIK the MCOG sets sold quite well, so I don't really get why they're being so cautious with Star Fleet. Ah well, I've got my copy now. Watched the first episode earlier. The remastering, I think they've done about as well as they could do given the source film. It's not as polished as some other remastering work that's been done on better-preserved series. Star Trek being the obvious example. That being said though, the picture is vastly superior to the ebay and VHS copies that have been knocking around for years. In places, the picture is actually very, very good. It seems to be some of the external FX shots that look a little dated still. The audio remastering seems to have worked really well. It's only stereo but the sound is very crisp and clear. Also, great to see the 'next time on Star Fleet' bits at the end of EVERY episode, and equally great to know that you've not missed the 5 or so minutes that were cut out of the US VHS releases!Also watched the 'making of' documentary. I really enjoyed that. I've been a big fan og Go Nagai long before I even knew that he masterminded Star Fleet. The stuff that he puts out through Gainax is phenomenal. Gunbuster and Neon Genesis Evangelion are just a couple of examples I could use. He sounded very proud of X-Bomber, I'd have loved to have known what the discussions were specifically that they had around a second series. What ideas did they have in mind? Also really liked the Louis Elman bit. Again, he clearly had a lot of affection for the show, and it was interesting to note that LWT were eager to finance a second season. Such a pity that the fire denied us of that opportunity. Also loved the story of Gerry Anderson phoning them up to ask 'just how good' Star Fleet was! lolAll in all, a fantastic release. In truth I'd probably have been happy to have the series released onto DVD. Remastering was a bonus, and the wealth of extras is the cherry on top.Yet again, Fabulous Films have outdone themselves. A big thank you from a very satisfied fan.
Happosai

Post by Happosai »

(Serenity @ Feb. 11 2009,21:18)QUOTEAlso watched the 'making of' documentary. I really enjoyed that. I've been a big fan og Go Nagai long before I even knew that he masterminded Star Fleet. The stuff that he puts out through Gainax is phenomenal. Gunbuster and Neon Genesis Evangelion are just a couple of examples I could use.Um, Go Nagai had nothing to do with those shows or Gainax...you're confusing him with Hideaki Anno (who is another anime legend).[Happosai]
Serenity

Post by Serenity »

^^ I know. Schoolboy error. I realised about an hour afterwards but it wouldn't let me edit it at that point. Not the first time I've looked a pillock, won't be the last either I'd wager! lol
Crash

Post by Crash »

Gunbuster and Evangelion weird the hell outta me. The new Evangelion films are cool though. You gotta love the sequence where Tokyo-3 undergoes a Marineville-like battle-readiness transformation.I'm very much looking forward to the next one actually. Although those series are so difficult to be comfortable with. Brilliant, challenging ideas but - Yeah Gundam's better for me - better characters and is easier to get caught up in.
Dream big and bold and daring.
jack18

Post by jack18 »

well i have got my copy from hmv paid £32.99 but worth every penny in my opinion with what you get as well.Andrew
Serenity

Post by Serenity »

(Crash Override @ Feb. 13 2009,11:37)QUOTEGunbuster and Evangelion weird the hell outta me. The new Evangelion films are cool though. You gotta love the sequence where Tokyo-3 undergoes a Marineville-like battle-readiness transformation.I'm very much looking forward to the next one actually. Although those series are so difficult to be comfortable with. Brilliant, challenging ideas but - Yeah Gundam's better for me - better characters and is easier to get caught up in.Never really got into Gundam I must admit, always preferred Macross myself.Don't think there are any new Eva movies mate. They did End of Evangelion to effectively tie everything up and replace the last couple of episodes of the series. Anno wasn't too happy with them as they ran out of budget and essentially the last couple were knocked out on a shoestring, in his opinion not fully doing the series justice.I have to say, I adore Evangelion. The complexities of the storyline are major pulls for me as theorising on them and speculating add longevity to the appeal of the series.Gunbuster, has one of the best final episodes of any anime I've ever seen. Shooting it in black and white was a masterstroke as well. On paper I wouldn't have thought that it would work. In practice, very effective.You should check out a short movie called 'Voices from a Distant Star'. It's available on DVD over here. An absolute gem of a movie, although calling it a movie is perhaps somewhat misleading, it's about half an hour in length. It does more in 30 minutes than some 26 episode series do.