Blast from the past!

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
AndyThomas

Blast from the past!

Post by AndyThomas »

I accidentally came across this, which I wrote a shade over 15 years ago! I'd completely forgotten about it! The site must have been quite young at that point, the conversations mention the DVD release 6 years later! I think I was still on dial-up back then!
https://h2g2.com/edited_entry/A784073
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Re: Blast from the past!

Post by Crash »

I remember coming across this a long time ago when I was first researching my game.

I think that the h2g2 site must have been mainly forgotten about.
Have you noticed how there are a lot fewer sites around nowadays but they're all huge; like Amazon, YouTube, Google, Wikipedia, Wikia etc.

We'll farm your content for you, so you don't have to.
PS: Your content is now *ours*
Dream big and bold and daring.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Well the sheer ease of getting stuff online now is incredible and I suspect a lot of people just don't bother with their own sites, they just use the existing sites as a springboard for their content - which makes a lot of sense, if I'd started pulling mine together now I'd probably have used some sort of blogging software or similar. Tools like your gallery system, this board, just weren't around back when I was messing around with HTML.

I don't think I've mentioned this yet, but another funny thing I came across the other day was a link back to my Star Fleet Look In scans. I found it on a WHSmiths book page of all places, and was bemused to see the extract was from a book called True Brit - which happened to already be physically sat on my shelf at home! So because I never moved to a database driven site in a "proper" way, this link from a book published over a decade ago actually still works!

It's also one of those many books on my shelves that I've never properly sat down and read and really ought to. It's all about classic British comics and British creators, the relevant one in this case being Mike Noble who inked the Star Fleet Look In strips. I honestly can't remember if I bought it knowing about the tie back to the website - I don't think I'd ever noticed!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Post by Crash »

I think it attracts more attention to the content that you upload as well. People can find more stuff similar to what they like more easily when it's all on one site and catalogued in the same database.
The navigation on YouTube and deviantArt is very focussed on leading you onto related content; either by the same contributor or by different ones.

So it's easier to get your content discovered and get feedback on it (assuming that you want it).

The code in xbomber.co.uk that indexes images and folders is quite good at doing what I wanted it for.
My current problem is putting new stuff from various folders on the front page of the site automatically.

At least when it's your server, there are no adverts and you have total control of what it looks like it.

Things might've gone a bit dead here recently but people are still submitting high scores for X-Bomber the Game so obviously people are still playing it.
At the moment, I'm trying to spend weekends getting out and about over summer but I can see development on the game resuming in earnest after that.
Dream big and bold and daring.