Where are Star Fleet Headquarters?

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...

Where is Star Fleet Command?

Americas
25%
Asia
50%
Europe / Other
25%

Total votes: 4

Crash

Where are Star Fleet Headquarters?

Post by Crash »

Where are Star Fleet Headquarters on Earth? Does it ever tell you?

I sort of assumed that it was somewhere in North America but if you look at the gold emblem in the command centre, the globe is centred more-or-less on Japan.

Certainly, the scenery around the base would match up with it being somewhere in Japan.

You would be able to pinpoint its location by seeing where the alien fortress starts firing down at near the end of the series but the Earth just shows in those shots as a blue ball covered in cloud. No land-masses are visible.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bladez636

Re: Where are Star Fleet Headquarters?

Post by Bladez636 »

I've always had the impression that it was located somewhere in remote South America. The mountains and landscape give me that feeling for some reason. Images like this though reminds me of the scenery surrounding EDF; http://stuartmattersphotography.com/wp- ... -chile.jpg

But hell, the scenery is not unfitting to Japan either, and the show was made in Japan afterall. Even so, Japan comes off as an odd place for the operations centre of a universal defence agency. I know nothing about their population, but I feel Japan would be more densely populated where a rural area would probably be better for it. I'm not sure South America is much founded in reason either though, so don't listen to me...
Crash

Post by Crash »

That's a very good thought. Thanks for that. I'm just interested in seeing what the consensus is.

It just becomes relevant since, in my story, I have a character that joins Star Fleet and in order for her to do that, you need to know where it is.

Stuart Matters... - That photo is now in my desktop background folder.
I love people with names that make sentences - especially motivational ones.

Stuart Matters. That's great.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

I'm gonna say Japan, that's where X-Bomber the show originated from.
However, as it's your story, you can decide anywhere you want :)
You could even have regional bases, and cover a variety of locations.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Remember the scene where Carter and Shiro have come out of the shooting range? Note the trees. I believe it's Japanese symbolism with the blossom falling, but that might suggest a Japanese setting. It's pretty generic really...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Post by Crash »

Andy, that's dead clever. I'd totally forgotten about that.
I must say, looking into it made a bit of a game-changer. I'd always taken it as read that it was North America but ... now, I don't think so.
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

i like the suggestion of South America, mainly because in the original Gundam, the Federation H.Q. "Jaburo" is located there (and is always being infiltrated by that pesky Char, or about to have a space colony dropped on it by those rascally Zeons, or... ) but as others have suggested Japan is reasonably likely simply for the same reason "EarthGov", or "Star Fleet H.Q (No, The OTHER Star Fleet)", or "Central" is always somewhere in the U.S; it reflects the cultural bias of the series creators.

Good spot on the cherry trees! (which might not actually suggest Japan, though - again, cultural bias sometimes sneaks through to other settings; I recall seeing an anime once where a protagonist arriving in the U.K. by Eurostar train was bowed at upon arrival by the station staff... ).
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Crash

Post by Crash »

EarthGov was in Geneva, amazingly enough - Damn, was Babylon 5 an amazing show.
It's literally about a year since I watched it and I wanna see it again.

It was the show that just blew your mind without descending to total random BS like all the Japanese shows do (like Evangelion for one).

I would try and contact Go Nagai but I'm a bit shy after my misunderstanding with Enoki Films.
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

I wasn't specifically referring to "Babylon 5 "; I was pulling generic future-Earth organisations out of the depths of my brain (with the obvious exception of Star Fleet) and had forgotten "EarthGov" had been used there (a similar brainfade is how I ended up with my on-line name... :lol: ), but now I think of it Geneva also seems to be a popular choice for wherever the future equivalent of the EU will choose to have a headquarters.

And Babylon 5 is s**t! :lol: [1]

[1] Not really, love it too, just couldn't resist the quote...
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
felice

Post by felice »

Crash Override wrote:EarthGov was in Geneva, amazingly enough - Damn, was Babylon 5 an amazing show.
It's literally about a year since I watched it and I wanna see it again.
This is one of my favourite B5 vids...