X-Bomber on DVD - another way?

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

Some of the anime-inclined may already be aware of this, but theres recently been an interesting experiment in anime licensing that might suggest a possibility of an official X-Bomber/Star Fleet release.Imaginasiantv and TMS Entertainment have recently teamed up to release a number of well known but commercially difficult-to-market older anime titles by using minimal packaging (the first volume has a case, other volumes are sent in little plastic packets), "print on demand" techniques and recording onto DVD-Rs. This has enabled them to get out series like Cats Eye and Orguss, titles which if you'd asked me a couple of years ago I'd have probably said would never see a Western release.The biggest problem is, of course, rights, but if those could be obtained and if the the other titles prove successful this approach might offer some hope for future releases of other slightly obscure things from the past - anyone got a suggestion for things they could look into?
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Shane

Post by Shane »

Who has the rights now for X Bomber? The Boxset that came out a few years ago in Japan was a Pioneer release.It's a great model though. Low cost production values mean less risk for the company involved, esspecially when were talking cult shows like X Bomber. Just as long as people arent greedy with how much they charge for the rights.Actually, the last X Bomber release was a missed opportunity for many because it was a limited release and suffered the usual Japanese overpricing and import shenanigans that mean only the hardcore or the mad have a chance of getting hold of it. I'm sure that at the right price a lot more people would have taken the plunge.Star Fleet on the other hand has been bootlegged to death. If I were a company, and even if I could get the rights, I wouldn't touch it now.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Ahh yes, but the quality stinks. I think people would still be willing to pay a second time for a decent release.Tell them to get on with it!
Dream big and bold and daring.
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

Just to let everyone know, I've e-mailed ImaginasianTV just to see what sort of response I might get. Will let you know what develops!
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Hoorah! I might just get a decent quality DVD yet.
FZeroOne

Post by FZeroOne »

No reply so far... oh, well...

Crash

Post by Crash »

I dislike it when companies do that. Perhaps emailing the other company might be more productive. I think I'll send an enquiry myself.
dwanyewest

Post by dwanyewest »

I have done some research i about x bomber a dvd set is coming out soon the people you wanna contact are at http://www.fabulousfilms.co.uk/
djdust

Post by djdust »

Er, yep, we've known for weeks!! http://www.sfxb.co.uk/cgi-bin....;t=1001
F-Zero-One - the Star Fleet / X Bomber site.....http://www.starfleetxbomber.com
Crash

Post by Crash »

Damn, I was gonna say "strong first post" but you've got 4.