Remastering--Grain Removal

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
felice

Post by felice »

16mm isn't necessarily bad quality; obviously 35mm is better, but Doctor Who's 16mm story Spearhead from Space looks pretty nice on blu-ray.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Jon Pertwee is the best doctor. That's why I liked Matt Smith so much. He was just a younger version of the same thing.I did a comparison of all the DVD sets that I have:http://xbomber.co.uk/?dir=Star%20Fleetand you can see how well the French did with their DVD release.I think the master footage must be lost to mankind otherwise the 'remaster DVD' wouldn't have looked worse than the original Japanese release.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(felice @ Mar. 02 2014,06:22)QUOTE16mm isn't necessarily bad quality; obviously 35mm is better, but Doctor Who's 16mm story Spearhead from Space looks pretty nice on blu-ray.I suppose that's true, but "Star Fleet" on the other hand -- it doesn't look horrible, but it's not up to its full potential. And to be fair, my remastering project probably isn't it at its full potential either. I sure can't make it look any better though, the times I do need to utilize them - they stand out more than anything else.I've heard people online winging about grain removal, I've had a couple people quip that me regarding my project. They're on about how it causes finer detail to be lost. I haven't a clue what they're talking about because compared with the plug-in tests, I don't see what they mean. The closest thing to loss I get is in Barry Hercules' sponge hair and that's still only when the grain is terrible

Serenity

Post by Serenity »

The issue of grain removal is a touchy subject and a lot of folks seem to be very sensitive about it. Personally, I don't like too much grain, but have nothing against it if used properly like in Band of Brothers. The anti-DNR folks usually bring up movies like Zulu, which together with the boost in contrast leaves a waxy-look to people's faces. Personally, I've never seen a problem. Zulu is one of my favourite movies on Blu Ray, I think it looks stunning.If Star Fleet looked that good and all that we had to gripe about was it looking a bit waxy, then we should be so lucky.
To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(Serenity @ Mar. 04 2014,16:50)QUOTEThe issue of grain removal is a touchy subject and a lot of folks seem to be very sensitive about it. Personally, I don't like too much grain, but have nothing against it if used properly like in Band of Brothers. The anti-DNR folks usually bring up movies like Zulu, which together with the boost in contrast leaves a waxy-look to people's faces. Personally, I've never seen a problem. Zulu is one of my favourite movies on Blu Ray, I think it looks stunning.If Star Fleet looked that good and all that we had to gripe about was it looking a bit waxy, then we should be so lucky.A waxy look doesn't really apply when it comes to "Star Fleet", because; well they're puppets -- they'd look waxy anyhow.Besides - most episodes give off a light grain -- episode 7 however has an almost distracting amount of grain!Here, tell me what you think for this:Yes I still haven't bought the full version of that plug-in, still waiting for when the time seems closer to getting the project done...
Serenity

Post by Serenity »

Oh I agree, with Star Fleet I wouldn't see that being an issue. It doesn't really bother me too much with live film, it certainly wouldn't with Star Fleet. The second image there, the de-grained one, looks much better to me.
Crash

Post by Crash »

I'm not sure I mind either way about that level of film grain but the output of that Neat Video software is very nice. It makes the image look very smooth and consistent.This just an iMac display that I'm using at work but there's no loss in detail that I can make out.That process is very, very good.
Serenity

Post by Serenity »

As I said, I'm not a grain snob or anti-DNR, somewhere in between is just fine by me. It's when grain is excessive that it puts me off.The second image there looks really really nice, even on a retina display there's little evidence of detail being lost. When I say 'little' I actually mean 'none'.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Are there variable levels at which you can set this software?I love Apple. "We're gonna give you a Retina screen that only actually enhances the sharpness of text but, to do it, we're gonna solder the RAM to the main board and replace the hard drive with a microchip that you can't service yourself."Now that's genius.No sane person would buy a £1,699.00 machine with no discrete performance graphics system and 256GB of internal storage.Apple's lucky the world's full of idiots who want to spend that kind of money on a machine that will only ever go on Facebook.
Serenity

Post by Serenity »

Agree - couldn't justify buying a Mac. Twice the price for half the functionality/performance.