Remastering: Bullocks...

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

Hey all,My home computer seems to have crashed-it won't start right, only giving a blue screen after showing the Windows sign logo. I tried all I could to resolve it on my own-but we're probably going to have to send it in. I was working on an unrelated video-and Movie Maker being the pain it is, it was lagging severely so I had to unsafely turn the computer off. Dumb move... I seriously hope everything else will be safe on my computer.In all fairness, the Remastering project isn't in total danger-all the dehissed audio files are on mediafire and my rips from the French DVD on a USB Flashdrive. But that sets me really back on remastering Brian May's music video-mainly the end title sequence which I've been slowly doing (actually I haven't worked on that in a while, it's tedious) and then I have to edit it again if nothing can be saved.Wish me the best luck. I'm rather panicked-I may have my School Mac to use in the meantime-but still, I can't afford the time to lose that stuff...
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Hey Blades, I really hope your files are safe. I guess that anyone who regularly works with computers, and has done for a while, will know of the feelings of frustration that come when they go wrong, and precious work is lost.We all feel for you there!When they won't do what you want and you don't know why, it's really annoying... Hope it's all fixed soon.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Post by Crash »

That is bad news. Everybody learns the hard way. I did.I bought this laptop and opted out of a DVD drive so I could stick a second HDD inside.Windows Backup duplicates everything from disk C onto disk D every day.It's not as fancy as fApple's Time Machine but I dare say it's more reliable too.Time Machine is all rainbows and kisses until it comes time to restore the data and the sparsebundle won't open.It's kinda infuriating not knowing the cause of issues.My M1730 died on me - kind-of. I'm not sure if its motherboard or graphics card were shot but it was probably one of those.I considered repairing it - that's how much I liked that computer. Repairing gaming notebooks is never easy.I watched a YouTube video to see how to replace the graphics card in the m1730.At the start, I was like: "how hard can it be?" and, at the end, I was like: "How's about 'No'?".If you've sent your machine for service, one of the first things they do is to format your machine. That's standard policy for most big companies. It *helps* to ensure that your machine returns in perfect working order.If they can leave your disk alone and either you or they can plug that disk into another computer, you can read it like a pen drive, go into Users\Fred\Documents\Whatever and just pull out what's important.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Happosai

Post by Happosai »

It sounds like you have file system corruption which has affected a critical Windows system file -- forcing a PC to power down can cause this if it's in the middle of writing to the hard drive.Rather than sending it back to the manufacturer, I'd try to find someone you know who knows what they're doing to have a look at it.To try fixing it yourself, I'd remove the hard drive, put it in an external caddy, connect it to another Windows PC and do a error check on it. You should then be able to backup your data off it. You may then either try fixing the current Windows installation (requires an installation disk -- I can't give more specific instructions without knowing which version of Windows you're running), or doing a new install.[Happosai]
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(Happosai @ Jun. 18 2013,23:57)QUOTEIt sounds like you have file system corruption which has affected a critical Windows system file -- forcing a PC to power down can cause this if it's in the middle of writing to the hard drive.Rather than sending it back to the manufacturer, I'd try to find someone you know who knows what they're doing to have a look at it.To try fixing it yourself, I'd remove the hard drive, put it in an external caddy, connect it to another Windows PC and do a error check on it. You should then be able to backup your data off it. You may then either try fixing the current Windows installation (requires an installation disk -- I can't give more specific instructions without knowing which version of Windows you're running), or doing a new install.[Happosai]Well, I never said I was sending it back to the manufacturer - I just need to take it in to Geek Squad-we pay for a discount, we might as well get our moneys worth.I might be good with computer programs, burning DVD's etc. - but I am no technician.I'd rather send it in as the one time my dad had a friend do it-all my files were lost (even though-not under these circumstances... They probably could have been recovered too)
Happosai

Post by Happosai »

(Bladez636 @ Jun. 20 2013,08:22)QUOTEWell, I never said I was sending it back to the manufacturer - I just need to take it in to Geek Squad-we pay for a discount, we might as well get our moneys worth.Fair enough. If it's out of warranty, you could still pull the hard drive to try backing up your files before sending it off. Hope it works out in any case.[Happosai]
Crash

Post by Crash »

+1 to all the above! Good choice.Computer shop will try an 'archive and install', as we say at fApple, which is non-destructive.Manufacturer will hit it with the 'erase and install', or 'nuke and pave' as it's otherwise known.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

Well, Apparently I needed a new hard-drive. Why? I don't know.I needn't say, but it really doesn't look good at this point unfortunately. I've not checked my computer yet, it got back today. They said they don't hold up much hopeWhat the feck did I do to that thing?Anyhow. I'm moving my rendering to my school Mac Laptop, re-ripping *because the files I originally ripped for my Toshiba were avi and they get runny when transferred to my Mac for some reason*Even if miraculously my files survived their attempt to transfer--It'd still be a better Idea I feel to render on my Mac.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Let them put a new hard disk in but ask for the original disk back.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ Jun. 23 2013,09:16)QUOTELet them put a new hard disk in but ask for the original disk back.I do believe we got it back,but really what would that do when it doesn't work?