How would you go about getting the REMASTER DVDs?

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Crash

Post by Crash »

Further to what I was saying, this Rinkya company is very good.Their website is a bit funny but I emailed them to find out how to actually pay for my order and they got back to me right away and they were very, very obliging.So, my discs should be arriving ... sometime
Dream big and bold and daring.
Mach1na

Post by Mach1na »

Just got the Dvds and the quality is amazing!!!!Super booklet included, just as good as the encyclopaedia. That's my weekend sorted!
Even in Death, I still Serve
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Mach1na is right, the Remastered DVD's are quite something. Even the box screen shots are pin sharp.The quality is very good, and the booklet that comes with the boxset is really amazing. It's like a mini X-Bomber encyclopaedia.There are very clear shots in the booklet, unlike those in the encyclopaedia.And some new pictures and concept art not seen in the encyclopaedia.Might be worth scanning...?All we need now is an English version.
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

I really look forward to seeing how it looks.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Thanks, expectation set.I don't think we can look forward to an English release.Best we can do is encode the new Japanese video with UK audio in Handbrake.The Japanese rights-holders don't seem to care enough about the Western audience but I could be wrong.Enoki Films USA folded some time ago.I contacted Enoki Films a week ago via their website, asking if they could help me contact the rights-holders for the show (which I imagine is them).The reason for this is to help to get X-Bomber published on Desura.They didn't bother getting back to me.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Struth, they arrived already.They took longer to arrive at Rinkya than they did to send from Japan to the UK.I paid the cheapest $25 shipping. It got send on the 13th and was estimated to arrive on the 17th.I once shipped something from Hobbylink Japan and it took about 3 months to arrive.I didn't have to mess about with import duty either. It just arrived.So, they quality is very good. The opening and closing credits are a bit fuzzy and blue/grey tinted.There are some weird processing artifacts if you look right up close and it looks like they've tried to undo the interlacing.Anyway, it looked very good and the booklet has a fair bit of stuff that's not in the Encyclopedia.

Crash

Post by Crash »

Has anyone compared the new Remaster DVDs to the original 2004 DVDs?The 2004 ones are much sharper because they have the original aspect ratio.The new ones are very noticeably stretched vertically to make them a taller 4:3 ratio, which seems to have destroyed a lot of the detail.I only noticed this when I compared some automatic screencaptures that I took with Xilisoft.I should probably upload these (when I'm not at work) to illustrate my point.I bought the French DVDs, which I understand are very good quality.At the time, I had no time to actually watch them so they stayed in their wrapping.I felt like comparing that footage but I can't seem to find the discs now I figure, they'll turn up.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ May 27 2013,09:27)QUOTEHas anyone compared the new Remaster DVDs to the original 2004 DVDs?The 2004 ones are much sharper because they have the original aspect ratio.The new ones are very noticeably stretched vertically to make them a taller 4:3 ratio, which seems to have destroyed a lot of the detail.I only noticed this when I compared some automatic screencaptures that I took with Xilisoft.I should probably upload these (when I'm not at work) to illustrate my point.I bought the French DVDs, which I understand are very good quality.At the time, I had no time to actually watch them so they stayed in their wrapping.I felt like comparing that footage but I can't seem to find the discs now I figure, they'll turn up.I don't know. I have yet to get the copies.Anyhow, with the French DVDs-you don't see as much there either. But when you get down to it, you don't lose much-same goes with the English prints (even though there you actually see a little more on the right edge than in the Japanese).I still have yet to see if they're the same (or similar) as the French remastered DVD's
Crash

Post by Crash »

Has anyone seen the extra features on disc 5 yet?There's a very interesting 15-minute preview episode, which I figure Nagai used to attract funding for the full show.It consists mostly of footage that I haven't seen and there are some interesting differences.The termoids have different eyes and voices.PPA is slightly different as is the X-Bomber bridge.You get to see a bit more of the Alliance cruiser interior as well as Pluto Alpha Base.As Dr Benn talks to someone on Skype/videophone, you can see where X-Bomber is housed, relative to Moon Base. In this version, X-Bomber rests in a crater, rather than a hangar.
Bladez636

Post by Bladez636 »

(Crash Override @ Jul. 08 2013,23:19)QUOTEHas anyone seen the extra features on disc 5 yet?There's a very interesting 15-minute preview episode, which I figure Nagai used to attract funding for the full show.It consists mostly of footage that I haven't seen and there are some interesting differences.The termoids have different eyes and voices.PPA is slightly different as is the X-Bomber bridge.You get to see a bit more of the Alliance cruiser interior as well as Pluto Alpha Base.As Dr Benn talks to someone on Skype/videophone, you can see where X-Bomber is housed, relative to Moon Base. In this version, X-Bomber rests in a crater, rather than a hangar.WowI'd really like to see that.Saw the screengrabs on your site now - the "remaster" DVD looks better than the original for the first 13 episodes-then the rest look relatively the same-lacking in contrast.