What is the Dai-X?

Chat about the characters, plot, music, special effects...
Crash

What is the Dai-X?

Post by Crash »

... A simple question but I'm having trouble with it.The obvious answer is: "a giant robot" ... Wrong, because a robot operates by itself or by remote control. The Dai-X is a vehicle, not a robot, for three pilots.OK so, "it's a mech" ... Wrong, you type "mech" into Google Images and see what it shows you - nothing as human-shaped as the Dai-X, that's for sure.Google tells me that a mech, symantically, is a tank on legs.It's not a mecha either because that is a broader category of machine*s* (plural), including mechs.So, what's it most like? - "a mobile suit" ... sure but that term is proprietary to Gundam, even if it does sound brilliant.You can also say for certain that the Dai-X is about twice as big as a mobile suit.Certainly, if you put "mobile suit" or "giant robot" into google Images, you get things back that better resemble the Dai-X.It's not like a Valkyrie, really, so it's not a variable fighter, even though that is descriptive term.So, there must be a phrase in the English language to communicate what we're trying to describe; a large, human-shaped, vehicle but I can't put my finger on it.
Dream big and bold and daring.
dsherratt74

What is the Dai-X?

Post by dsherratt74 »

To me I'd say it more closely resembles a Combiner team from Transformers, MMPR or Voltron et al.I suppose the best way to really describe Dai-X and it's abilities would be as a Transatmospheric Variable Geometry Gestalt (or combining if you prefer) Humanoid Armoured Fighting Vehicle, but that's a hell of a mouthful.How about a Humanoid Combat Vehicle?
"A brave man is lauded even if he fails, a coward is reviled without question"X-Bomber art on dA
Crash

What is the Dai-X?

Post by Crash »

That is good.I was thinking about a made up word, maybe stemming from the greek prefix "anthro" but I see that the use of "humanoid" is not limited to creatures: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HumanoidYou're right as well, in that the other most remarkable thing about Dai-X is its ability to operate on land; in air, space (and presumably under water as MSs and Valkyries do).That's even more than a Subaru.I think the word "universal" sums that up.The dictionary seems to think that "universal" can be a noun as well, which is news to me, about which it says the following: "A person or thing having universal effect, currency, or application, in particular.".A combat vehicle implies something heavier-duty than an assault vehicle, again, going from Google Images.I think it may have to be a UHCV / HUCV.I was mainly interested in this for writing my game's documentation.Awesome.
dsherratt74

What is the Dai-X?

Post by dsherratt74 »

To be honest I'd be wary of the term universal as there's no evidence to support the fact Dai-X can operate underwater. Obviously we know all three ships are hermetically sealed as they operate in vacuum. But just because something works in space it doesn't follow it will work underwater.We have to consider water pressure. Take the space shuttle, it works fine (for the most part) in space but it'd be flatter than a pancake under any body of reasonably deep water, it's just not designed to work that way.Okay, I know we're talking about a TV show, so a degree of "artistic licence" is permitted and it seems logical that it could work underwater i just don't feel universal is the right wordHow about Transatmospheric as I mentioned earlier? I think Transatmospheric Humanoid Combat Vehicle sounds much cooler than Universal Humanoid Combat Vehicle.
"A brave man is lauded even if he fails, a coward is reviled without question"X-Bomber art on dA
Crash

What is the Dai-X?

Post by Crash »

I would think it could. Even Impulse Gundam (from Gundam SEED Destiny), which is similar to Dai-X, (in that it combines from as many as four aircraft) worked underwater.The Dai-X is really well-built/armoured/shielded to account for all the gunfire that it shrugs off.I don't think a few hundred metres of water pressure at least would bother it.I like Universal - like Universal Soldier. Trans-atmospheric implies to me that it can't when we think that it can.Do you like my unfinished little friend?:http://xbomber.co.uk/?page=news&id=58
dsherratt74

What is the Dai-X?

Post by dsherratt74 »

I think this is the kind of thing we could debate till the cows some home. But if you're happy with Universal then that's great I won't  try to convince you otherwise, I'm just happy to have help out.Looking at that. I'm glad I've never got to level 16 in the game. Man, I do not want to fight that.  
Zordon

What is the Dai-X?

Post by Zordon »

One wordMEGAZORD!!!!
Look an Alien cruiser!!
AndyThomas

What is the Dai-X?

Post by AndyThomas »

How about Gestalt Combat Vehicle, or GCV? It is a tricky one, as Dave says, it is actually a Megazord / Voltron style combiner without any of the symbolism or sheer wackiness often involved with those combiners. Maybe even Variable Geometry Combat Vehicle - VG-CV - because the three craft are capable combat vehicles in their own right?
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

What is the Dai-X?

Post by Crash »

Yeah, it is basically a MegaZord - that's right.This is the thing; every show has to make up a proprietary mumbo-jumbo name for the things even though they're broadly the same idea across so many Japanese shows especially.So you have the ArmSlaves from Full Metal Panic, Knightmare Frames from Code Geass, to name just two.Infact, this on Wikipedia kinda proves my point: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_fictional_mecha
FZeroOne

What is the Dai-X?

Post by FZeroOne »

I suspect the Japanese would call it a "Gattai Mecha" (combining mecha). The Japanese are also very good at coming up with acronyms after the fact (General Usage Non-Discontinity Augmented Manoeuvring system for example; I never did find out if that was official but it apparently was devised by fans of "Gundam" and other fan-created material has made it into that continuity).A "proper" military would probably go with something like Andy is suggesting, but even they are not immune from their moments of fanboyism - hence the "Storm Shadow" missile (because ninjas make everything better), or the mysterious bit of kit fitted to Tornado fighter bombers called the Tornado Advanced Radar Display Information System. Rumour has it the box is bigger on the inside...     My attempt would be Bipedal Integrated Gestalt Diverging Armoured Interceptor-X. What does the X stand for? AWESOME.  

"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.