Considering writing an article on Sci-Fi captains

A forum for discussion of Crash's retro-style arcade game based on Star Fleet
Shane

Post by Shane »

(Crash Override @ Jul. 27 2011,03:05)QUOTEI actually thought Lochley was a great addition to B5. I preferred her to Ivanova by quite a stretch. It's not that much of a shame that they wrote her and Marcus out of the show because I wasn't sure that he fitted-in either.I must admit I didn't like Lochley very much and felt the show really missed Ivanova (and Marcus) when they left at the end of season 4. I think Ivanova might have made season 5 more watchable, although with most of the story-lines completed at the end of season 4, the unnecessary 5th season was always going to be a little bit rubbish.Actually, my personal opinion is that everything before Captain Sheridan arrives on Babylon 5 and everything after the Interstellar Alliance is formed is a little bit pants.The Legend of the Rangers movie, in particular is laughable with the ship's weapon system operated by someone kicking and punching energy blasts at the enemy ships. Very embarrassing JMS.I've never watched Firefly, but was quite impressed with Serenity when I saw it at the cinema. It seemed to do the space cowboy thing way better than Lucas could at the time with those pony prequels.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Well, the last time I saw Season 5, I was amazed how good the fifth season was, given that it was only tying up loose ends and trying to launch a the last-minute Drakh story.It just had a really eerie sense of winding-down in a good way within about 5-10 episodes of the end.I find it very difficult to understand how such a good series, which was so well-written and designed, could have generated such a volley of terrible films with the only possible exception being the fifth(?) one that fed into Crusade.Crusade was a bit lacklustre as well and I think the lack of any actual music detracted greatly from it.The Rangers film was terrible with moments of okayness and not many B5 films fared much better.One thing I did quite like about Crusade was how Excalibur and its Thunderbolts was really a force to be reckoned-with, unlike Earth Force when it only had original Starfuries and Omega Destroyers and when they could only go against other very young races.Firefly is a good bit better than the film - and I enjoyed the film but there are a few subtle differences that hinder it from being a true sequel.Lucas is another - You do one great thing and that's the magazine empty. It's hard to do anything inspirational beyond that.EDIT: Seeing as we were talking about other sci-fi, I thought I'd drop this in:http://www.xbomber.co.uk/iv/?p=gallery# ... recon.jpgI have tonnes of these from ages ago. I'm just polishing them up and scanning them 10 years on.

Dream big and bold and daring.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

Amazing drawings there Crash!You are very talented!
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Post by Crash »

If I were I would have stuck with it but I really appreciate you saying so!I dug up a load more old stuff today including quite a lot of Star Trek stuff, some sketches for a Stingray game I once wrote (including a nice drawing of the Stingray sub itself) and a lot of character and vehicle designs for a comic that I did from when I was 9 or 10.I remember doing a *lot* more interesting Star Trek starship designs but I can't seem to locate that many. There were allsorts: heavy cruisers, explorers and frigates and I can only seem to find a couple.One thing I had forgotten about was a really sweet little phaser, which I shall scan tomorrow.In the meantime I also have these: http://xbomber.co.uk/iv/#/content/trek-phasers.jpg... maybe the best sci-fi weapons ever. Everything about phasers just seems so 'right' to me.I also have a drawing of something vaguely Star Fleet-related, which I began much more recently. I'd kinda like that to be a bit of a surprise though.
Dream big and bold and daring.