What shall we do with ...

A forum for discussion of Crash's retro-style arcade game based on Star Fleet
Crash

Post by Crash »

Noticed that Win7's MIDI controller garbles a few of X-Bomber's stolen midi files. I'm not sure those ones were properly-coded anyway but it made me wonder whether it was time to move on.Personally, I quite like a lot of the MIDIs in there and it reminds me of the games from when "shareware" collocated with "floppy disk".There was some talk of it a while back and I was wondering whether it really bugged anyone and was time to move on.I found out what the problem with X-Bomber's sound panning was - not a problem with the game or the OS - the lead to the amplifier wasn't in properly.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

Post by Shane »

I personally always mute the midi files as they just sound a bit dated or remind me of other games (Like Star Wing or Raiden). Listening to the Paul Bliss soundtrack while playing your game works very well though. ;)To be fair the above could be said of a lot of games I've played in the past; After a while the music just gets a little boring so I'll listen to my own music collection while playing. I voted for MP3s, but obviously the pitfalls here are that they'll suck up a bit of memory and you'd have to source some sci-fi/Star Fleet style music.I think it would be cool to at least have some Star Fleet style music for your title screen.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Quite a few are taken from Raiden although I've gone off those, except 2.There were a few that Win7 wouldn't play right so I deleted those. I don't have to reprogram anything yet though because when the game finds a file missing it just loads another.Would anyone like to nominate a composer that we can harass to get an original track? I've always wanted an original, mp3/ogg title track for the menu myself.There was one guy who offered last year at Uni but seeing as he owes me £500+ in unpaid utilities, I'm guessing that's not going to happen.In other news: I've got the m14 boss pretty much working but not quite finished and it is really good fun because its little drones rush you from all angles and some float about and lock onto you. It's not too hard if you have a good special weapon.That and I think I've fixed the trouble I was having with saving and loading the player's progress in levels. Clickteam gave that feature of the API a fix a while back (after I pestered them continuously for ages) but I never tweaked my implementation accordingly.
Vanessa

Post by Vanessa »

I just wanted to register my support for your poll Crash. Although I don't feel able to vote as I'm not a "gamer".From the screen shots, it seems hugely impressive, and I'm very much in awe of it all. So even though I don't play, I can still appreciate the work and dedication involved
Evasive Manoeuvres!
Crash

Post by Crash »

It is greatly appreciated! I'm quite pleased with its appearance at the moment. It is almost a nightmare to manage.I keep meaning to do a new gameplay vid.Give it a shot - it's dead easy ( ... at the beginning) and it shows you what to do in Mission-0 (training) (although I think that bit might be a bit outdated so it might not be fully in touch with all my updates. Basically: Arrow keys=Move, Z=Shoot, X=X-Impulse/Shield, Shift=Change weapon, Tab=Dai-XDidn't you say you had an m1210 or something? It'll make short work of it.I bought Crysis2 from the nice lady in GAME yesterday and had a really long onlaught at it! - AMAZING Game. What pleased me most was that it ran at full settings on the m1730's dual graphics cards.I was a bit premature when I said the Save/Load thing worked. I've been onto the MMF2 developers with a view to getting their software fully-working.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Currently obtaining the midi music used in X-Bomber in MIDI format ...- [ ACQUIRED ] Coa Musicworks- [ ACQUIRED ] Raiden IV- [ ACQUIRED ] Rise of the Triad- [ ACQUIRED ] SITERSKAIN's Kamui & Reflex- [ ACQUIRED ] Sol Feace- [ ADDED ] xSynergy Gate- [ UNAVAILABLE ] - Rayging Blue (and probably all of the freeware indies)[ SEEKING ... ] Raiden I-III, TD2192, Tyrian 2000MIDI files without available MP3 versions are gonna get converted on my Yamaha XG...Something tells me this is going to more-than-double the filesize of the next version.

Crash

Post by Crash »

Reworking the game for MP3 - not hard. All I have to do is point the DirectShow extension at a different set of filepaths. I figured 96k was a decent bitrate for game music. means less than a meg-per-minute.For all the game music that's never been released on MP3, I ripped my favourite remixes from Youtube.I found that Windows7's wavetable couldn't play Rayging Blue's midis and I remembered there's a folder in the game's file structure that contains alternative midis (which I assume must be XGs and which I hadn't explored previously). There is an alternative Level 1 track which is absolutely barnstorming! The Yamaha XG makes it really come alive. I think I'll have that as X-Bomber's recurrent theme, which can occur at any point in the program; Missions, Menus and Briefings.