The Game for Mac

A forum for discussion of Crash's retro-style arcade game based on Star Fleet
Dr. Ben

The Game for Mac

Post by Dr. Ben »

Can you do it? I love the game but I can never play it. If you have the code/data maybe using a different compiler we could get something...
Crash

The Game for Mac

Post by Crash »

Hi! That is a very good question indeed. I'll have to look into it but the program that's used to edit it, (Multimedia Fusion) only compiles in VC++ I believe, which I gather has problems running in a non-Windows environment. The game uses the Windows graphics drivers but that can be changed. There may well be a way to sort it, since a number of people have written software with MMF and their principal machines are Macs - meaning that even if it can't be edited in Mac OS (MMF is only made to run on Windows) it might be able to run.It occurs to me that running the game in a browser might allow you to do it - if the Vitalize plug-in (made by the same company as MMF) is fully compatible with the game (which it may not be due to the myriad of extensions and mods that X-Bomber uses). That would be OK too since the game's resolution is 800x600.Anyway - I'll look into it, I'm overloaded with uni work until the weekend but I think there must be some way of doing it.The only other way, failing that, is to emulate Windows which is slightly laborious. Apparently Virtual PC is quite bad but will run X-Bomber anyway. There might be other better solution that you might explore at your end in the meantime.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Crash

The Game for Mac

Post by Crash »

Hi there Doc - I've looked into the various ways I thought I might be able to get this to run in a Mac environment. Vitalise, unfortunately, only runs in Windows (marvelous) and Jamagic, a program written by the same company that can write code for Macs won't open X-Bomber's source file in order to compile it. That's because it works in a different way to Multimedia Fusion (suprise, surprise).I'm told that A Mac version of the new MMF2 is expected, but it seems that Clickteam are without a Mac Programmer at the moment.I'm told that this guy uses Virtual PC 7 to edit and run MMF games. He says it works very well actually. I spent a whole evening looking into the subject and it looks like you might be stuck with this for now.As soon as a version comes out that can release for Mac and I can afford it - I'll get it. (If they ever get around to it).At the moment - I'm trying to work on the new levels mostly and I'm crossing my fingers that the transition from my MMF 1.5 to the new version won't be too choppy.It's something I need to do since the new version has big improvements in sound, movement, layering and graphics effects.I'm really sorry I couldn't be more help - I did delve quite deep into the subject and that's all I could turn up.
Crash

The Game for Mac

Post by Crash »

Well, according to front page of clickteam.com we're going to be able to compile in Java soon. (And of course we all believe everything that bunch of retards says). However if true it means we might see X-Bomber for the Mac yet.(That's assuming of course that we can actually get X-Bomber to consistant release-performance again).