Where's the Rum gone?

Comments on this forum and Star Fleet sites
Crash

Where's the Rum gone?

Post by Crash »

Uh - I dunno if it's just me but the site attached to this forum seems to have vanished and been replaced by something to do with a [ core-project ] (whatever that is).Anyone know what's goin' on?
Dream big and bold and daring.
Crash

Where's the Rum gone?

Post by Crash »

Uh, hate to break it to you guys but it looks like we've been hacked.http://www.zone-h.com/en....project
Joe Meredith

Where's the Rum gone?

Post by Joe Meredith »

I wondered what had happened! I'm no expert in this sort of thing, but can it be remedied easily?Joe
Crash

Where's the Rum gone?

Post by Crash »

Dunno, I doubt Andy'll be too happy tho'. Depends how much damage they've done really, whether they've gone and deleted stuff or whether they've just changed a couple of index pages.Yeah this is a new one for the books, I'd love to find out who did it.
AndyThomas

Where's the Rum gone?

Post by AndyThomas »

Well, quite the turn out for the books this eh? My thanks to Crash for his concern and investigative work. This would seem to be a hacker group looking for index.html files on vulnerable Linux systems to replace with their "tag" - it may even have been my fault if I had the files too open. The rest of the site appears to be there behind the scenes, so to speak, just as the forum is up because it doesn't use an index.html page. They're obviously quite busy defacing other sites so this doesn't seem to be intentionally targeted. I'm not in the right place to do anything about it just now but obviously I'll fix it as soon as I can and return you to your regularly scheduled web site...!
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Zordon

Where's the Rum gone?

Post by Zordon »

Sorry to here about the site. Blasted Hackers!!! is it possible to trace the hack?
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Crash

Where's the Rum gone?

Post by Crash »

Well done for getting the site back on the map, Andy.
AndyThomas

Where's the Rum gone?

Post by AndyThomas »

Thanks Crash. It was a little tedious to do but apparently the vulnerability which allowed it to happen has been fixed now, at least until they find the next one, so I shouldn't have to do it again in the near future.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator