Forum Downtime

Comments on this forum and Star Fleet sites
Crash

Re: Forum Downtime

Postby Crash » Wed Aug 31, 2016 4:26 pm

We had some downtime to my site last Tuesday/Wednesday due to maintenance at Krystal hosting. The forum was still OK.
After the upgrades to the server, the database for my site had its credentials changed and the site couldn't log in.

Last night, I could see that the site and forum were unreachable but then so were all my friends' sites on Krystal.

They've had a DDOS attack aimed at another server which gummed up the whole network. There's not much you can do about that.

I thought I'd add something here in case people were wondering what was going on.
Dream big and bold and daring.

Crash

Re: Forum Downtime

Postby Crash » Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:33 pm

Hi everyone!
It's good to see that the forum is still being useful to people from-time-to-time.

I want to let everyone know that I'm planning to take xbomber.co.uk offline for, at most a few days, sometime before my next hosting renewal in order to make some efficiencies and thereby save some money.
It should probably take quite-a-bit less time than that.

The main reason is that, back in 2014, we had to leave Dreamhost (which was quite a good thing in the long-run) and move onto a Krystal hosting account that was already set up, but was being used for something else.

So, among other things, the account is based on a primary domain that nobody uses anymore and which they bill me to renew every year.
In order to change the primary domain across to xbomber.co.uk and release the existing one, I need to temporarily remove the xbomber.co.uk domain, so that they can use it as the primary.
That means that the website will remain on the server but be unreachable over DNS until the domain is re-added by Krystal support as the primary.

I'm thinking of getting it over-and-done-with in the next couple of months but I need to find a time during the week when I'm doing nothing else and can contact Krystal support until they get it done.
Dream big and bold and daring.

Return to “Feedback”