2010 new site

News from other Star Fleet fan sites
Zordon

2010 new site

Post by Zordon »

Well as of this week I'll be sorting out the site. For some reason it's locked me out and say's I'm not listed on the database.Soo........time to start up another site.starting off slow.gonna get basic pages set up then start working from there.what would you like to see on the pages?Obviously Omega and any of the stuff i've made so far.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Crash

2010 new site

Post by Crash »

What site says you're not listed in the database?Is this moonfruit? I think that site wipes any sites that aren't logged into by their creators every ... month or something.Did you have the content backed up, assuming that it was Moonfruit that let the account lapse?Paid hosting is good in a way because your money helps to guarantee the safety of your data.If they lose your stuff, you can sue them. There's a contract and you've given consideration in the form of money or money's worth so you can enforce it in court and sue them for damages.I want to see some drawings of Project Omega' ships and characters, lol.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Zordon

2010 new site

Post by Zordon »

yeah moonfruit locked me out and deleted my details.had a look around a few of those drop and drag sites which use similar tools to create a site.failing that I'd probably just team up with anyone here and create a site together
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Crash

2010 new site

Post by Crash »

To be honest, I can offer no advice about the best web publishing platform.I installed Coppermine for us to use but that was a bit of a disaster area, trying to get it to do everything we wanted. The usability was terrible. The support was terrible and my expectations in those regards weren't unreasonable.To be honest, I couldn't find anything serious to replace it either.What you want is a full-blown CMS that handles articles fully and handles images fully.Planetdescent.net has a great setup. It's basically a forum, extended with a CMS add-on.I don't think that's the approach you might want to take because this forum works great in fairness if only we could give it a new skin.I think you want a single, pre-build CMS. IntoCerberon http://chmodoplusr.com/IntoCerberon uses PHP Nuke and that seemed to work well for them but that site is old. I'm sure you could find a more modern equivalent.That being the case - we could throw the content of the X-Archive Coppermine into there and have a fresh start because I'm not happy about where I can take the X-Archive from here.It's hard to skin and it has few open avenues in terms of expanding it or improving its integration into the site.Very tricky.
Zordon

2010 new site

Post by Zordon »

well I think we will need a base of operations at somepoint to host the interviews and clips I'll be filming later this year.what if we intergrated everthing from X-archive and SFP and both started from scratch.I have little to no expericene creating websites apart from all the drop and drag sites i've had over the years.It's be nice just to have a site which we could upload stuff too.I wounder if we could do a wiki style site which links all the pages into a cool database?
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Zordon

2010 new site

Post by Zordon »

hazarr!! I managed to find my password for the site so I can now do a fair bit of revision on the site.Also planning to increase the bandwidth and sapce so I can have a full working site.cross your fingers for me
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Crash

2010 new site

Post by Crash »

Problem with the MediaWiki was that it was horrendously overcomplicated. It was dead hard to modify and customise and it ran dead slow on our server.A blog would do you just fine.My friend, Phil runs his site entirely from WordPress and it's customised-a-plenty:http://www.emeraldcoast.co.uk/

Zordon

2010 new site

Post by Zordon »

ok i just found out how we can make a site between us all.using the moonfruit site we can each have sections we can contribute to.We have blog sections, so much other stuff too.if anyone would like to help me out let me know and i'll set up an account for you.now the catch.it's gonna cost a bit to run each month so donations will help.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Crash

2010 new site

Post by Crash »

Why not set up a blog on our server, like Wordpress for you? It's free that way.
Shane

2010 new site

Post by Shane »

Yeah, a blog is the way to go!
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!