The return of Big Dai X?

News from other Star Fleet fan sites
Shane

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by Shane »

Crash has mentioned trying to bring back the old site, and Dr Ben is interested in trying to do something with it. The site was always about, and for the Star Fleet community so what say you?I have much of the content of the site spread over a couple of discs, including a lot of rare images that Gareth Jones scanned from the ultra rare Japanese Sci-Fi mag from 1980. A multitude of images I scanned from my collection at the time, and a huge amount of video files, some of which seem to have cropped up on Youtube, but it would be good to have them available to download again.Options:1- Yesterday I tinkered around with a no frills template homepage with 3 basic links: About the Show, Gallery, and Videos. Each subpage contains basic links to the files. I could set this up burn it onto a disc and then someone could host it, I don't have broadband, so I don't want to be uploading files by FTP anymore.2- I can just collect all of these files together, and somebody else can build a new site from scratch.3- Or I can pass these files onto Andy for use on sfxb. I suspect though that Andy has little time these days to be messing around with a whole lot of new content, I know I don't have the time anymore.So, we can go no frills. (And it will be no frills design wise.) or someone new can take over.
I like parties, I like fun, I want to live in a hamburger bun!
Crash

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by Crash »

I think it's an excellent idea... wait, I suggested it. So it must be good!Well I think both of those options sound very sensible:A.: A nice simple site would also be perfect. Making big complex sites is an irritation for everyone. Lots of content well broken-up on a few pages is much better. People don't have to navigate as far, the search engines love it and it's easier to maintain... You get the idea.If you send me the files (on DVD across to Gerryland) I can set you up on our file server and maybe write a little something myself.B.: If Andy has the space and inclination I think it would be excellent to supercharge SFXB with the extra content. Perhaps the two you could join forces? If you lot are stuck for time maybe I could help out with that too, with everyone's permission.Either way I can help with any/all, since in a week I am provided with a surprise 2-week paid holiday.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Shane

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by Shane »

Ok, here's a screen grab of the proposed BIG DAI X homepage:Basic navigation, top and bottom.Left side of page containing iconic image. (Dai X for this page, Makara, Lamia, Shiro etc on others.)Right side of page contains main data.Other sections will feature:Text and a few small images for the "About the Show" section. Thumbnail galleries for the Gallery section.Basic Description and links to video files.Links are for Links. And Contact is also obvious.So everything will be a lot more cleaner and streamlined than before. Much more linear and less complex to navigate.
Crash

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by Crash »

Wow! - That screengrab of the Dai-X is absolutely breathtaking! How did you manage that? It must have come from one of the official DVDs.I like the layout too! Get onto making me a banner, 88x31 pixels so I link to it in style.
FZeroOne

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by FZeroOne »

Very nice!
"The power of bakers, the power of artists; even the power of witches! It must be a power given by God... sometimes we suffer for it."- Ursula, Kikis Delivery Service.
Dr. Ben

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by Dr. Ben »

Looks cool!At this point I don't really think there is anything I can do to help either with the site or on the game. So I think I'll leave both projects to more talented people.
Shane

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by Shane »

Cool. Thanks for the feedback.I think the way to go is for me to get this setup using the template, (Which actually won't take too long.) and then send the whole site to Crash on a disc for him to upload, if he doesn't mind doing it that is.It's up there then, and there's no fear of it going down again the next time I decide to go on my travels.Oh yeah, the Japanese DVD is a great source for high quality images.
Crash

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by Crash »

Shoot to kill.My address is... well I'd better email you my address in case the Germans try to do me for selling official secrets.I'll have a lot of explaining to do if you all turn up here for some wild-ass party and trash the place.
AndyThomas

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by AndyThomas »

Groovy. SFXB does now have enough space to accommodate more content, so I could probably shoehorn Shane's content into its own mini-site under the SFXB domain, or possibly even a sub-domain of SFXB. Or, if Crash can host it without getting clobbered by work, I could try a frame based approach to putting it under SFXB? Not sure how Google would interpret that mind you... It would certainly be my preference to keep Big Dai X separate, so that Shane's style is preserved - I might be able to integrate the content over time, but there doesn't seem much point if the mini-site can operate just as effectively. In other news, I've got Image Magick installed now but for some reason the Register option is now messed up! But I'll work on it...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

The return of Big Dai X?

Post by Crash »

Right I think you might be right. At least we know we've got tonnes of space for it that way. I see just what you mean.I have 2 weeks of holiday coming right up. Even if I didn't I'd just set the laptop to upload in the morning and then go out... Although you do realise I'd have to actually stop downloading all 7 series of Star Trek The Next Generation while it was doing it?Haha, well if the register option doesn't work temporarily then that helps our spammer problem, doesn't it!? I hate web coding it makes me so irate. Mind I feel the same way with Multimedia Fusion 2 at the moment. I said to the people who are supposed to be helping me out, that it's a bit like the Enterprise A. 'It's fast but none of the important things like doors seem to work'. It finally seems to be behaving itself at the moment though, basically... touch wood.