Big Dai X - Anyone heard from Shane?

News from other Star Fleet fan sites
Crash

Post by Crash »

No you're right - I thought it was but I checked and I fumbled it - I think I was given the IP and host of an NSLookup server instead. This isn't exactly my area of expertise. The "tracert" in command prompt says it's 204.251.15.169 instead - which you'll see basically takes us back to square one, and as Andy says that's probably not even what we need to be looking for. Might as well stow that German dictionary. If figured if I emailed the host they'd be willing/able to tell us the subdomain address for bigdaix which is what Felice is talking about....dammitHowever I'm gonna say this:.. We have a member of this forum with nearly 500 posts who hasn't been seen now for 5 months(!) and suddenly his site, that he's spent so much time and effort on starts going over the edge... plus he doesnt respond to Any emails. Even if he didnt want to talk to us - you're not seriously telling me he wouldn't have said "look I'm just bored of the whole thing - but don't worry I'm OK".I think Andy's post "he can get in touch is he wants to" completely misses the point I'm making. I'm not the only person around here who thinks something untoward may have happened.I may have been tired last night and mesed up with the numbers but at least I've woken up to the basic facts of the matter.
Dream big and bold and daring.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Crash, I think we all appreciate the potential seriousness of the situation - the point I was making was that if Shane is out there, and wants to get in touch to explain what's happening, he can. As you say, it seems very unlikely that he would just completely cut himself off without some explanation and so, yes, something may have happened to him but unfortunately I can't think of any way to find out one way or another unless someone has "real life" contact details for him.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Happosai

Post by Happosai »

Did Shane ever e-mail anyone here using an @bigdaix.com e-mail address? If so, it should be possible to figure out the ISP from the e-mail's header (if it was sent through their mail server). From that, it may then be possible to use Matt/Crash's technique on their DNS server to gain access to the site's contents, if it is still being hosted.I've done a bit of poking around and haven't been able to find an IP address or anything else useful (e.g. server logs, FTP logs) elsewhere.[Happosai]
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

No, his e-mails originated from aol.com and a freeserve address - the AOL one is dead and the Freeserve one, while not bouncing, isn't getting a reply. No website at the Freeserve domain, either.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Did he ever mention what he did for a living? Might come in useful.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Shane seems to have been logged on here tonight (in theory it could be someone else using his account, but...) However, I haven't heard anything from him directly and he would have picked up his messages from here so I'm not any the wiser as to what's going on I'm afraid.
Crash

Post by Crash »

Oh yes... hello. I saw he logged in sometime in mid October as well. I guess it might have been him - who else would be enough of a fan of the show to turn up and use Shane's account at the same time?Although the fact he hasn't answered is odd.Maybe he's just been really busy. We might hear something from him later over Christmas if that's the case.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

We can now call off the hunting parties - Shane's just dropped me an e-mail and will be posting on the forum when he can to let us know what's what. So suitably festive news for the season...
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

*whew* I can't tell you how much of a relief this is, Andy. I'd truly worried about the bloke. On another online forum, we'd faced the tragedy of one of our members' death. He had disappeared for a couple weeks and then his wife came to us and told us his story. It was completely sudden, as you might suspect, and shocked the lot of us.Of course, there are other circumstances that could cause people to disappear from online forums. Inevitably "real life" will interrupt sooner or later. I think even I have been away from this site for many months at a time without notice. One could have new kids, a new marriage, or other family affairs taking up time. One could go on sabbatical or vacation out of the country.  Or worse, one could be incarcerated for some sort of crime.It's just an unfortunate product of how these online communities work. Most of us just barely know each other by the digital words and images we put here online. Outside of these web sites, we really have no idea what could be going on. Blogs help some people get to know each other, but they still may not be of much help if someone just stops writing.In any case, I'm very relieved to hear that Shane is still with us. Even if I never see another post from him here at SFXB again, I'll sleep better knowing that at least nothing too terrible has happened to him.