Big Dai X - Anyone heard from Shane?

News from other Star Fleet fan sites
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Shane, or anyone else reading this who might know - Big Dai X.com seems to have been down for a few weeks now. Is this permanent? I'd like to see it carry on in some way shape or form, Shane, can you get in touch if I can help at all.
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Crash

Post by Crash »

That's bloody odd. Where's he gone?! BigDaiX worked fine when I tried my links page out the other day.You're gonna love this:Google: "This is Google's cache of http://www.bigdaix.com/ as retrieved on 31 Dec 1969 23:59:59 GMT." "The page may have changed since that time."... - I'll bet it has.
Dream big and bold and daring.
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

How curious. I did a whois on bigdaix.com and this is all the information I got. Usually you'll get back lots of information about the owner, server, etc.Quote Current Registrar: EASYSPACE LTDRecord Type: Domain NameServer Type: Zeus 4Lock Status: REDEMPTIONPERIODWeb Site Status: ActiveData as of: 08-Jun-2004And for what it's worth:Quote The  domain deletion progresses through the following statuses.REDEMPTIONPERIODA domain name is placed in REDEMPTIONPERIOD status when  a registrar requests the deletion of a name that is not within the Add  Grace Period. A name that is in REDEMPTIONPERIOD status will not be  included in the zone file. A registrar can not modify or purge a name in  REDEMPTIONPERIOD status. The only action a registrar can take on a name in  REDEMPTIONPERIOD is to request that it be restored. Any other registrar  requests to modify or otherwise update the domain will be rejected. Unless  restored, the domain will be held in REDEMPTIONPERIOD status for a  specified number of calendar days. The current length of this Redemption  Period is thirty calendar days.So, it looks like Big Dai-X might really be going away?  :\
Crash

Post by Crash »

Good thinking Brad. that's bolloxed. What's he doing? It's a major shame - that site came in really handy for reference material.Anyway I sent him an email from the forum - hope it got thru.
Zordon

Post by Zordon »

what a bummer Shanes done alot of cool stuff to the site in the last year be a shame to see it go.
Look an Alien cruiser!!
Bradster

Post by Bradster »

Has anyone heard back from Shane? His web site now points to some generic search engine. Sad to see it gone for good.Didn't he have a couple of other domain names? Something like "Big Red Robot" springs to mind, but nothing I enter works.I hope nothing bad really happened to him...
Crash

Post by Crash »

I was thinking about this a few nights ago. I emailed him at his last known address but got nothing back. That plus the fact that we haven't heard a word from him in what must be 2 months suggests to me that there may be something seriously wrong.I think Brad might be onto something.Shane would never just delete his site, especially without saying something to us. - It seems it's just died of neglect and not being renewed (besides; its not 6 months since he expanded the whole thing anyway with videos and image galleries). I didn't like to sound too alarmist before but I think the only conclusion now is that something is badly wrong.The only question remaining is ... what do we do now?
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Quote (Bradster @ 05 Dec. 2004,11:23)Has anyone heard back from Shane? His web site now points to some generic search engine. Sad to see it gone for good.Didn't he have a couple of other domain names? Something like "Big Red Robot" springs to mind, but nothing I enter works.I hope nothing bad really happened to him... Brad, his old original site you're thinking of was "superbadassrobo.co.uk" - DJDust's site still links into that one so I can be reasonably sure that that's the right address. The record on Nominet, the UK domains registry, for that domain is now blank. As you say Brad, bigdaix is now just a search page and on further investigation it seems the domain has been bought by some Kenyan company and is available to buy. I really wish I'd gone ahead and grabbed it myself when we realised it might have been permanently gone, so that I could have transferred it back over to Shane at some point.However as both you and Crash point out it seems increasingly strange that none of us have heard anything from him. I too have emailed him and had no response - no rejected mail either, but of course that doesn't mean anyone is reading the account.I will dig through my emails and see if I ever had his postal address. What I'm unclear on is whether his domains were actively shut down, which would suggest he opted to shut them down, or whether they just expired because they weren't renewed. The latter is more concerning...
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

One thing worth mentioning - although some of the content has inevitably fallen away, it is still possible to see most of BigDaiX in an archive site:http://web.archive.org/web/*/http://www.bigdaix.com
Crash

Post by Crash »

Anyone know his webhost? We could ask them. Surely they'd tell us under such extenuating circumstances.