Opinions please - new board, or not?

Details of updates to SFXB
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

I'm considering upgrading this board to a more powerful database-driven affair, which would allow for polls and such like. The likely upshot is that all the existing messages would be lost. That might not happen, but it's a possibility. I need to look into it further, but I'd be interested in comments. I'm not 100% sure we need anything better, but...?
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
NC

Post by NC »

It would certainly be a shame to lose all the old posts, something which i found very useful yesterday when trying to find some information.But if the forum is limited and people want the new function that a lick of paint won't provide then i say go for itNigel
Crash

Post by Crash »

Yes exactly the same happened here. The input from all the members is dead useful. And besides polls and things can normally be done on the site.
Dream big and bold and daring.
AndyThomas

Post by AndyThomas »

Yes, you can certainly do polls of opinion - but more advanced forums can actually do counting-type polls! I've since done a little more reading and I think it'll actually be possible to retain all the old posts if I'm smart about how I do this. This may actually be a two-stage process - I need to upgrade this board to version 3, but then I'm thinking of transferring the whole kit and kaboodle to a totally different type of board. A little ambitious perhaps...! What I will do, before I do anything, is take this board off-line and save it. I can always restore it, or even move it to a different location and keep it there as an archive should the new board fall over. Keep the comments coming...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator