Questions About 5 TV Shows

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
felice

Post by felice »

QUOTECan anyone actually wait for the Blu-Ray of Star Trek TNG to come out???It won't be out here for a while yet; they're fixing some audio issues. But I've got two more seasons of TOS to get through before I can start on TNG anyway...

Crash

Post by Crash »

Yeah, how funny it is as well that the best Star Trek they're making at the moment is the fan films on YouTube.I watched one or two the other day and the production quality on the character shots was a bit low because they were merged quite cheaply with CGI backgrounds but, apart from that, they were stellar.They even had the USS Phoenix from that TNG episode return and it was even meaner than in TNG. There were some really fantastic non-canon designs in there as well.What I liked the most was that they really lent on and integrated in all the awesome stuff that Star Trek shows had laid down already and used that as the fabric for new stories, whereas in Enterprise etc, they were desperately struggling for new story ideas, creating some terrible stories and rehashing old ideas and trying to give them a new spin.

Dream big and bold and daring.
felice

Post by felice »

Any chance of a link?
Crash

Post by Crash »

This is one of the eppies I was thinking about. I think the others dropped off my history but I just kept following the related links on Youtube.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wkENGZtO ... lmfuActing: not great, but these are just fans who are doing if for nothing.
felice

Post by felice »

Huh. That was pretty good!
Crash

Post by Crash »

Glad you enjoyed, I thought it did quite well when you compare it to how tired and limping Voyager and Enterprise became at times.Another good area of Star Trek that's worth dipping into is Peter David's Star Trek New Frontier books.I'm no literature critic but those books essentially take the marvel, mystery and outlandishness of the Original Series and stage it in the Next Generation era.It's an Ambassador-class ship (I think) and it operates near the border of Federation-charted Space and it has wild adventures and a crew of exotic aliens that you could never easily depict on television.
Rachel

Re: Questions About 5 TV Shows

Post by Rachel »

I must get hold of the South Park writers' fan-mail address, and request that Terrance & Phillip travel back in time to late-Victorian Canada, and meet Anne of Green Gables. I'd love to see Anne & her pals drawn in that style! I've got time, as new episodes are apparently going to be made at least until 2019.
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Do you find that when trying to compile an all-time Top 10/20, or whatever, of TV shows, placing programmes in "pairs" may make it a bit easier to compile a list? Thus:

Terrahawks & Star Fleet (similar puppets-in-space shows from the 80s, both featuring the voice talent of Denise Bryer).
Full House & Cosby Show (2 very similar family sitcoms).
The Young Ones & The Inbetweeners (rude comedies about 4 young men; the stupid lad = called Neil, in both progs).
Family Guy & South Park (both = adult cartoons).....
Crash

Post by Crash »

That's how the brain works though isn't it?
It's one giant relational database. It stores very little unique data about any one thing. Ideas only exist in relationship to eachother.
The more links exist to anything, the easier it is to remember.

That was how the story went when I studied psychology (badly).
I'll always appreciate evolutionary psychology - total BS and very funny.
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

American Dad = an obvious partner for Family Guy; but American Dad could also be paired with Metal Mickey: both have an adolescent son called Steve, and daughter Hayley.

Things could become problematic, because perhaps the Young Ones should be partnered with Bottom, rather than the Inbetweeners...