Splitting AVI files?

Chat about anything you like - within reason!
AndyThomas

Splitting AVI files?

Post by AndyThomas »

I've not done it myself, but I think there's a utility called HJsplit or Join or something which is free and will happily split a file and then join it back together. I imagine it won't lose any data in the process! It might also be worth looking at WinZip to see if it has any similar functionality.As for the CD read problem - don't know. I've found it useful to "pin down" some CDRs using the little arms on the CD tray - they seem to play more reliably then for some reason. My Mediaplayer often can't find them unless I do that. Due to it being built in (good ol' Microsoft monopoly!) I've never really looked for an alternative player that might do the job better...
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
AndyThomas

Splitting AVI files?

Post by AndyThomas »

Ah, I'm with you now. I could be wrong, and I'm sure there's a way to get round it, but the way AVI files are encoded means you can't simply chop them in half and end up with 2 AVI files that play. MPEGs are different I think - if you notice, if you download one into mediaplayer you can start watching as much as has downloaded, whereas with an AVI you have to wait for the whole thing before it can be decoded. I imagine you'll need a piece of software which will actually make 2 new movie files from the one old one. I'm sure there's a utility out there that'll do it but I'm not up on my AV software. Perhaps Simon Coverdale could suggest something, or Nigel?
Andy Thomas - SFXB Webmaster and Forum Moderator
Jim Box

Splitting AVI files?

Post by Jim Box »

How do you do that kieran.having used virtual dub a few times and another one avi2mpeg (to convert the avi's to mpeg so i can play them on my dvd player)On a few occasions i have had lip sync problems, i know its to do with compressed audio but how do i recompress it into an mp3 stream? or cure the lip sync.Some files are fine but after being split into 2 the second one develops lip lync towards the end of the file. total pain, it seems that the audio side of things is not at a constant rate.Any ideas?